584,871 active members*
5,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Lyndex/Haas VM2 - Tool Holder Runout dependent on Tool Holder Orientation

Unhappy Lyndex/Haas VM2 - Tool Holder Runout dependent on Tool Holder Orientation

Hi Guys;

We have a identified a problem with our 6 months old (virtually brand new) Haas VM2 using also 6 months old Lyndex ER Holders and Collets. After noticing some runout issues we dug a little further and found out that holders are bang on in one direction but if taken out of the spindle and turned 180 degrees runout is up to almost 0.001" measured inside tool holder.

We find this extremely awkward and it seems consistent with every single holder we have (16 in total ER16 and Er32). The spindle runout measured inside the spindle tape is less than 0.00005".

The short term solution to the problem is to simply make sure the holders are located correctly when loaded into the machine but it would sure be nice to find out how to resolve this long term.

Thanks for your help - Cheers,

Chad

Almost all tool holders have an indent that should always be placed toward the tool changer when the spindle is in the M19 orient tool change position.

Understood - Problem for us is that there is no consistency.... Some are bang on with the indent facing the toolholder while others are bang on facing away from it...

I would contact Lyndex then. Possibly they have had errors in their manufacturing and quality control.

We're now in touch with Lyndex and Haas and will get this issue resolved eventually... Still, what are the chances that a total of 8x Lyndex ER16 holders & 8 Lyndex ER32 tool holders ALL being bad!?

Honestly, we're suspecting that something with the machine is not right.

Here's a chart of the runout of all of our 16 holders in both orientation in the spindle (measured in 0.0001"s):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Holder Runout Chart - November 1st 2012.png  

This video is our final conclusion - Has ANYONE ever seen anything like it: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-RpyL0jC-A]Haas VM2 - Lyndex ER32 Runout Issues - YouTube[/ame]

It first shows spindle run out inside the taper...
    Then we show a holder in the good spindle orientation (no runout at all)...
    Finally, we turn the exact same holder 180 degrees and its out by nearly 0.0004"...!

Here's also a picture of our holders and collets:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Holder and Collets - November 1st 2012.jpg  

I see your problem. But except in the extremes of milling, I would consider this to be acceptable run out. Almost all mill programming is done with tool compensation to adjust for variations such as this. I am not saying you should not get to the root of the problem. I am saying there is probably no reason to halt use of the machine while the issues are resolved.

Thanks for the quick answer. I would agree with you except that once we load the holder with the collet THIS happens (and considering we're working with lots of small cutters this really doesn't work for us at the present time):

IMG 1356 - YouTube
    IMG 1392 - YouTube
    IMG 1393 - YouTube
    IMG 1394 - YouTube

Any pointers?

Small is a relative term. I still think you would be ok down to about 0.125" diameter mills. Anything smaller and you want less T.I.R. to avoid tool breakage.

Thanks again for the quick reply... Unfortunately, lots of the things we need to machine at the moment are below 1/8".... Actually, most of the prototypes were in the process of machining need 1mm cutters (1/25.4th").... Absolutely cannot do it, caused tons of frustration and broke loads of cutters already... The machine has been down for three days now...

Question Holder Runout

Things that can cause this type of variance:
    - The taper is not to specification. This can happen with bad holders, bad spindle or both. The TIR will check it is the taper engagement that could be off.
    -Retention knob not on center
    -Retention knob over tightened
    -Unusually spindle wear

Simple check, get a holder from someone else and see if it corrects the issue. If it does, you know it is the holders. If it doesn't you know it is the machine.

If you need me to supply a holder pre-inspected I will be happy to help.
    Lee Flick
    HPI-PIONEER
    [email protected]