585,761 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > how to replace a servo motor.

Unhappy how to replace a servo motor.

hey gang,

Seems I crashed my X axis last night and now my Servo motor is twitching erratically and won't respond.

The impact knocked the cover off of the encoder. Visually there appears to be no damage to the glass disk inside or for that matter, any thing else. The cover was a plastic type material and pretty much broke at the mounting points.

now I'm unable to locate a service depot in my area and am thinking it a replacement only option [which seems like a waste]

So, how do I begin selecting a suitable replacement? I don't even know where to begin.

my current motors are Minertia Motors by Yaskawa. I can't find my model on their site at all.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Owen Lloyd
    CMRA #111p
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

i thought I should me more clear in that i don't need help 'physically' removing the drive. i want to know how to determine the proper size, voltage and such like that.
    For example, this is a 22.5 volt DC servo motor. Am i limited to replacing this motor with an identical unit? Can i put a stepper in its place? What about my control box, are they set for a specific voltage / motor set up?

I hope these are two basic of questions, I just don't know where to begin.

Thanks
    Owen

Is the motor itself OK? if it is the encoder and is a through-shaft type, you should be able to get a replacement from Renco.
    Check the motor by hand that its free to turn etc.
    Apply an independant DC voltage to it and see if it runs ok, if so its probabally the encoder.
    If you are not sure of the resolution, the glass disk usually has it etched in.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al.

The motor spins freely and feels fine. A technician took a quick look and said the motor tested fine but "encoder signals are out of phase. They are supposed to be 90 degrees out of phase but these are 180 deg and I can't adjust it."

So to that end, I'm looking at the encoders on US Digital.

owen