585,753 active members*
4,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What is the best way to cut thin wall brass tubing?

What is the best way to cut thin wall brass tubing?

I have some thin wall .014 brass tubing 11/32 in OD that I need to cut into lengths (1/4 inch and 1-1/2 inch). I'll need about 1000 of these per year.

What is a cost effective way to cut this that would be bur free? I'm using a tubing cutter now -- it doesn't matter that the end is decreased in diameter, but deburring by hand is a pain.

I could use the tubing cutter with the part in the lathe. Would a tumbler or small vibratory finisher solve my bur problem? I was thinking that a small slitting saw would be a lot faster than the tubing cutter -- but would still have the bur problem and might deform the tubing in a way that I couldn't use it.

The parts will be used as spacers. They must still fit into 11/32 (nominal) holes after cutting.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

lerman,

Check the severance catolog for inside and outside tubing deburr to be run in a drill press and hold part by hand works great. For cut off might try the lathe and a small threading insert with a good collet chuck and light pressure and very close to the chuck for the cut off. this will still roll the edge. As for the tubing cutter itself and the lathe I have had no luck, the tubing seems to twist under the strain but then agian thats my luck.

A slitting saw works great but can leave a nasty burr.

Please post any news about what works as I run into this on an ongoing interval.

John

For my model work I use the HF mini cut-off saw to cut thin wall brass tubing. It has a small slitting saw blade on it and if you cut it quick, the burr is minimal. The table leaves a bit to be desired though. I have seen an outside deburing tool for tubing somewhere, can't remember where, that could be attached to the end of a 1/4 hp motor shaft. It would make an easy job of it.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

The problem with deburring tools...

Some of the cut off parts are only 1/4 inch long. That makes them pretty hard to hold while deburring them.

Keep the ideas coming.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I think I'd try cutting off in the lathe. This makes it easier to dress the burr on the outside end of the part while it is still attached to the stock. A 5C collet chuck (or equivalent) would be necessary. I think a grooving tool (just plain flat top zero rake for brass) and a very keen edge, ground about .015" wide should cut very clean. A slow feed will help the final little 'ring' to pop off the end of the part. This end of the part will be sharp edged, but should still be straight. Then you could consider some kind of vibratory finishing or tumbling with some kind of small beads.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I did some components like this a few years ago. They were filled with a low melting point wax wich was then placed in hot water. There was very little burr that I remember. Whether this would be cost affective in your case I'm not sure.

Cool Another Idea!

This may sound a bit extreem, but what if you placed a steel pin half way inside the end of the tube, hold the tube and pin in a 5C collet, and take the rolling wheel cutter from a standard tubing cutter and mount it in a holder, then feed it in till it hits the steel pin and cuts (pinches) the brass off to the desired length.

Also, a second-operation spindle that has a 5C collet would make deburring a little easier too!

Hope this helps!
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Well, I've found that it cuts very nicely using a slitting saw. The bur is pretty small. I'm planning on cleaning it up in a vibratory finisher I just bought on ebay.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what media to use?

As a reminder: 11/32 diameter thinwall (.015) brass tubing.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

You might try doing your cutoffs on the lathe with an inside grooving tool. Always worked well for me in cutting off cartridge brass for custom chamberings. If nothing else, you avoid the whole tube collapse problem, and the burr is minimal and external where it's easy to knock back by hand.

Tiger

I found this out while watching a TV show on how they mfg musical wind instruments.

Take your thin-walled brass tube, fill it with water and freeze it. Take it from the freezer and cut it. with the ice core inside holds the dimension.

This can also be used for bending the tubing, too without collapsing the walls.

Cheers!

Re: What is the best way to cut thin wall brass tubing?

Hello ,
    We are producing metal cutting machine(yag laser cutting machine and fiber laser cutting machine),
    we have tube cutting machines,it can cut copper,brass,aluminium,satinless steel etc.
    About the pipe,it include round pipe,square pipe and elipse pipes.
    If you have any interest in these machines,please contact me.
    Contact information: E-mail:[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by lerman View Post
    I have some thin wall .014 brass tubing 11/32 in OD that I need to cut into lengths (1/4 inch and 1-1/2 inch). I'll need about 1000 of these per year.

What is a cost effective way to cut this that would be bur free? I'm using a tubing cutter now -- it doesn't matter that the end is decreased in diameter, but deburring by hand is a pain.

I could use the tubing cutter with the part in the lathe. Would a tumbler or small vibratory finisher solve my bur problem? I was thinking that a small slitting saw would be a lot faster than the tubing cutter -- but would still have the bur problem and might deform the tubing in a way that I couldn't use it.

The parts will be used as spacers. They must still fit into 11/32 (nominal) holes after cutting.

Ken