585,597 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > touching off core on citizen A20

touching off core on citizen A20

Hey guys I have a problem touching off the core on an A20 citizen
    If I touch off material bigger than 11mm the X stays in the position point.

It seems like I'm not getting a very accurate way to touch off the core for material bigger than 11mm. does anyone have any advice on this topic please?

You mean touching off dia of the part.

Is your tool on center

In the prep page, there is a "CORE D" soft key, this moves the tool down in X while moving to the core setting position.

Give that a try.

Tool Setting

Here is a written proceedure to set the tools in the A220 VII.
    See the attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That write up doesn't mention anything about the differences between materials greater than 11mm and less than 11mm

EDIT: danrudolph I will try your method when i get to work today thanks.

Find your OPR screen by going to the offset page and toggling the soft key menus until you find it. There is a core move inhibit setting, this goes for any citizen.

The reason it does this, is for materials larger than (in this case) 11mm, should you have any tool set in the adjacent gang position, you will run into interference between the stock and the tool when the gang positions in Y and then moves down in X.

Be careful.

I largely find setting core this way almost pointless as a lot of inserts and tooling don't allow you to properly feel the edge (think chip breakers etc). It's good for getting a rough number but you'll still have to face off, and for tools which you cannot face off or properly set core with this method, I use known reference values from other tools.

Cheers

ya i already knew that it was preventing me from crashing my gang tooling into my larger material. i just wasnt sure how to get around it. i will check out the OPR page tomorrow at work thx

also when you say face off do u mean face the material off to make sure there isnt a tit on the material so u know the tool is perfectly centered

Yes that is exactly what I mean.

thanks a lot man thats the best advice i have received so far and im sure i can get into the operator screen and turn off that core move inhibit thing cause i know the operator screen very well i just didnt think to look there. thanks again.

To set the core you should touch off of the shank of the holder because it is straight and easy to find true center using a shim. Then measure, with an indicator the distance from the shank (ZERO) to the true tool tip. Now you will adjust the "Core" setting you got from the shank by DOUBLE this amount. VERY SIMPLE! Works EVERY TIME!

I ended up going into the OPR screen and turning on the core option and then I was able to use the regular core function to touch off. It works good thx for the help.