585,722 active members*
4,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How to connect Boring head with TTS?

How to connect Boring head with TTS?

I own a Boring Head that fits a 1-1/2" 18TPI arbor. I am wondering how I can connect this to a TTS tool holder? Any ideas on this for an off-the-shelf solution?

I know I could mill up an adapter, but ideally I would like to exhaust any existing options first..

Here is something that should do:
    shars.com - 12quot Straight Shank

Christian

This one is 3/4" shank.

Good find concombrefrais

shars.com - 34quot Straight Shank

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

I made my own arbor from a 31802 - TTS Machinable Blank
    for a Flynn boring head by threading in a lathe held in a ¾” 5C collet.
    BTW the Flynn boring head had 1.43-18UN threads so no off the shelf TTS arbor was available.

Don

Thanks for the suggestions. From what I can see there is nothing "off the shelf". I will need to use a TTS machine blank (I have a few already), put a thread on it and make an adapter. I am not entirely sure how I will do this without a lathe.

Don't you have a mill? Put the blank in the TTS collet. Use the mill as a lathe. Put a cutting and or threading tool in a vise on the table. Or use a thread mill.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by spv123 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. From what I can see there is nothing "off the shelf". I will need to use a TTS machine blank (I have a few already), put a thread on it and make an adapter. I am not entirely sure how I will do this without a lathe.
    You could machine the TTS blank to size with an end mill and then thread mill the TTS blank mounted in a 5C collet chuck mounted on the mill table similar to what I did here except the TTS blank would be held in a ¾” 5C collet instead of an internally expanding 5C collet as shown here:

Don

Quote Originally Posted by spv123 View Post
    From what I can see there is nothing "off the shelf".
    It seems to me that the off-the-shelf shank Scott linked, together with the Tormach off-the-shelf TTS converter or this Tormach off-the-shelf ATC-ready TTS converter would fit the bill.

Randy

Sill less expensive to machine your own arbor from a TTS machinable blank at $19.25 (especially if one already has one in hand) vs. $8.20 for the TTS conversion plus $18.95 for the Shars arbor plus shipping from two different places.

Don

31802 - TTS Machinable Blank
    32432 - TTS Tool Conversion Kit
    shars.com - 34quot Straight Shank

I'll refer my learned colleague back to the last sentence of the first post. :wave: (That's intended to be a kind of pointing upward thingie...)

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    I'll refer my learned colleague back to the last sentence of the first post. :wave: (That's intended to be a kind of pointing upward thingie...)

Randy
    That’s two[sic] bad. As necessity is the mother… missed opportunities to learn single point threading or thread milling on the Tormach.

Don