585,906 active members*
3,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Arty Shapes in Rhino

Arty Shapes in Rhino

G'day

I am a new member and this is my first question so please excuse me if I seem a bit daft. I am running Rhino 4.0 for my CNC router and I want to know if you can import clip art etc. I want to be able to draw arty shapes - hearts, fern leaves, lizards, flowers and so on but struggle to do it in Rhino.

Any suggestions.

Remember, Rhino is primarily a 3d modeling program. What's the purpose of importing 2D clip art? If you want to cut it with your CNC router, import vector clip art directly into your CAM program; you don't need Rhino for that.

If you've got bitmaps that aren't vectorized, you can import them into Rhino as Background bitmaps and trace over them to create vectors. You can do that for any JPG or BMP images of hearts, flowers, or whatever. Use the InterpCrv command with no snaps active to draw over the bitmaps one point at a time. You can activate those points with the PointsOn command (F10) and drag them around to fine-tune the vector image, then save it in a format your CAM software will recognize, like DXF or AI.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Plas I import artwork into Rhino all the time and trace it. I use Pictureframe, top view, open the art, then trace what I want using
    curves/freeform curves/controlpoint curves. I then use the control points to adjust the curve exactly to the art.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Different possiblities :

-Use a vector program ( e.g. Corel or Freehand) to convert to a Rhino compatible format!
    -Use Rhino and import the Clipart as a background picture - Trace manually in Rhino!
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!