585,662 active members*
3,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Decepticon logo (Transformers)
Page 1 of 2 12

Decepticon logo (Transformers)

Anyone have the Decepticon logo in g-code, or an acceptable file format to open it in Mastercam? My nephew would like an aluminum plate made for his car with the Decepticon logo engraved in it. He showed me a picture of the logo on his phone and it looks fairly simple. Anyone have this already or wouldn't mind converting it for me? I guess any image from Google would be fine for conversion.

Thanks in advance.

There are many threads on CNCZone that discuss turning graphic images into DXF files. Use the Custom Search box to find them.

I whipped this out in about 2 minutes... I've included DXF and EPS not knowing which file types Mastercam can import...

Hope the little guy likes it!

Senna
    Attached Files Attached Files
    aka BOOMER52 >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

Thanks. That looks great. txcncman-I have tried a few of those in the past with not much luck. I was trying to convert a Steeler logo and downloaded 3 or 4 different programs but none seemed to work well. I would much rather do it myself if I can find the right software. Do you know of any off the top of your head that work well? Free in nice as I am just starting out and haven't made a penny with my machine yet. And this job is a freebie too.

Thanks again Senna. Did you do this 'freehand' or did you convert it? What did you use to convert it?

Do you have MasterCam ART?

Not sure. I have X5 and am using a copy at work. Is it included or is it an add-on? I don't think I have it.

Was just asking because with MasterCam ART you can probably import the graphic image directly, convert it to 3D and then Trace at levels to get the outlines. None of the raster to vector programs I have tried are perfect. But they usually get close and then you can clean up the lines and arcs as needed to get a final outline.

Thanks. I'll check into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DHay13 View Post

Thanks again Senna. Did you do this 'freehand' or did you convert it? What did you use to convert it?
    I first did an image search and downloaded the Decepticon logo... converted it to PNG in PhotoShop. Then I imported it into an older version of Macromedia Freehand. I think Adobe supports it now. Freehand has a TRACE feature but the image was rather low res and jaggy... so since it was so simple I just used the BEZIGON TOOL and click traced it.

I think something like INKSCAPE would be an equivalent app or at least close anyway... check it out here... Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Senna
    aka BOOMER52 >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

Arrow

you also can try hexagon by dazstudio
    and make in 3d
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks everyone. I downloaded Inkscape but haven't spent much time messing with it yet. I have the logo in Mastercam now so that's done. I will be engraving this logo in a ~4"x9" 1/4" thick aluminum plate for me nephews car. He is thrilled with the logo. As I said earlier, this will be a freebie job. But he has some friends that might want one also. Any thoughts on a fair fee for this type of job? It will probably be a different logo/design so I would have to start from scratch on that. The customer will do any finish work such as paint, powdercoat, polish, etc. I was thinking about $75 if I supply the material. Sound right or what?

Thanks. As I said, I have never made any money on this machine so I don't have much of a clue on this stuff as far as pricing.

Legally, unless you have gotten permission from the owner of the logo, there is no money in it. If you make any money off of it, it is called copyright violation.

Yeah, I won't be selling anything that would cross that line. I wouldn't mind making a few bucks but not worth getting into trouble over.

You could trick yourself by selling your machine time and giving away the product. Or, accept donations. Or, maybe even trade for beer.

No. Don't want to even go there. I am making this as a freebie and will be making a couple of Steeler signs for family members that will be freebies too but that's as close as I'll get to that. CI isn't worth the few dollars I would make on an item.

BTW-I just messed with Inkscape and figured it out. I am going to make new coasters for our living room. The bigger glasses we have won't quite fit on the coasters we have so I am going to make new ones. My wife wants starfish designed into them so I downloaded a starfish jpg from the internet and opened it in Inkscape, traced it with the drawing tool and saved it as a dxf. Worked perfect. Well, except for my shaky tracing skills but it was practice.

Thanks again.

Good job.

So the starfish was simple to trace. What if I have something like a picture of a dog? Obviously I can't trace that with the detail needed. Can this be done in Inkscape? I'm going to read up on it but still being new to the whole CNC thing there is a lot to learn. I don't want to spend a whole day messing with Inkscape only to find out it isn't capable of that and have to go back to square one.

generally can not be used copyrigthed work...

but.. if you were in usa, then theres the title 17 fair use..
    it was made protecting normal people from jerks..

the exemption says nonprofit, educational and even fall in this category the caricature... means, you can not sell picture about a person... however if it is a caricature. then you can sell..

if you asking here on this forum how you can draw this, then it shows youre a hobbyist and you make some for entertaining..\

the main point of the copyrigth, """do you make damage to the original work""

means do you cross the original owner..

since it is a movie, copying one dvd already crime.. but using a very small part of decepticon... for entertaining... answer is no

as others said, nonprofit.. means you cant advertise you making a logo..
    if your brother asked can you make this stuff.. thats ok.. you make a material what the original owner didnt made.. no available to buy..

ask me why i know these..
    because after jerks jumped on me several times, i was not lazy and emailed the most furious of this ...

they asked me, what i used? did i copy video? how many percent of the original artwork used? and a lot similar..
    they can not handle hobbyist that makes a logo for friends.. also they dont care if your kid draws all day long their logo...

also thinking practically.. do you know how much cost a lawyer per hour?
    if they can not take your case to the court, they have to pay their lawyer..
    and these lawyers are not for ten bucks per hour..

can original owner proof you made damage?
    if can not show up with eveidence, the court simply reject the case..

i just wrote these, everyone need to looking for what does mean copyrigth, and not harassing others publicly..

also you can see on net 100 of different decpticon logo.. someone drew them, even published..
    this can show you, yes you can make it for self entertaining...

Appreciate that victor. I'm not too worried about copyright infringement because I won't go there. I spent several years in law enforcement and am very familiar with the crimes code, as well as civil torts. I would like to make this a legitimate business so I want to do things right. I turned down a paying job because it was cutouts of a man and woman and the customer wanted to put 'private parts' on these pieces and sell them. I don't want my potential business to be associated with this type of work so I declined.

My nephew would like an aluminum plate made for his car with the Decepticon logo engraved in it.
    All day long... Whenever you want.

Website which states "decepticon logo sold here!" No way.

Page 1 of 2 12