585,568 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

circuit breakers

Is there a way to tell what model breakers I have with out pulling them out of the breaker box? I'm told by my power company I should replace one of my breakers but I thought it would be best to do them all. So if I'm going to have them come back and shut down the power I want it to be down for as little as possible. Someone once told me the only way to tell is by bring them in to match them up. I'm sure there is another way, is that true?
    Thanks for your help guys!
    James

PS
    Photos of my CNC router will be posted as soon as I get started assembling it. I just got the last of my linear rail in. Next lead screws.

All the Breakers I have seen for the past many decades have the rating on the reset knob?
    What make/model of panel do you have?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, I'm learning allot of electrical stuff as I go. So I was wondering where about on the panel I can find the model number. The breakers do have there rating on the switches. Would the breakers them selves have a model number?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    All the Breakers I have seen for the past many decades have the rating on the reset knob?
    What make/model of panel do you have?
    Al.

Yes, they have a type number, usually on the outside, if you can see the make/model of panel, any supplier should be able to match them up from this, if all else fails then you could remove one.
    But normally not necessary.
    Federal Pioneer etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

AWESOME! Thanks! I'll have a look and get this done finally done. CMP( my power company) will be coming by to replace the line to the house soon. I hope. then I hope that will be the end of all the electrical issues here. Looks like one of the town bucket loaders(moving snow) nicked the line oh maybe back in the mid 90's and lets just say we had no negative on the line. Eroded away over the years.

Just curious as to the reason why they told you you should replace the breaker?
    Al.

Albert E.

Turn on the cross cut saw in the barn, trip the breaker for the upstairs of the house. Totally different breakers, and not next to each other. We found the same growth as you would find on a car battery on the positive input of the main breaker. I should still have the photo of it on my phone if you want to see it.

If there is any considerable corrosion then Just changing the breakers may not be sufficient, either completely dismantle the panel and inspect and clean it or fit a new panel if it has been in place for many years.
    Al.

Albert E.

If its NOT next to the breaker, then its probably on the same phase, and depending on what's hooked up and running on both breakers you could cause a voltage drop on that phase and cause the nuscence trip on a different already fully loaded breaker on the same phase.

thanks guys!

Al, the breaker box looks like a bowl of colored spaghetti and has been in place at least sense when my family moved here in july '86.

It's mounted on plywood on a wall that is slate and granite, with rat and mouse holes all though it. Not forgetting the rain water and the beach like sand that the house sits on/in.

Fixing this issue will help Ma long after my wife and I buy our on place.

Breakers vs fuses

There used be a type of conductive grease (for want of a better word) that was used to coat top-post battery terminals, and then the cable end after it was fastened on the post, and this would prevent the type of corrosion you now see on your terminals. You should be able to find it at any auto parts store. Why aren't you going after the town on this issue?

No offense, but I would like to post a comment on breakers: I used to have a Master Electrician friend, who told me to not ever trust breakers, as they rarely tripped within the specified manufacturing tolerances; I know that I built a new house in 1998, where the electrician wired a hot & a ground together, then had me flip on #6 breaker: it emitted a huge HMMMMMM that vibrated the whole house, & I had time to leap at it & flip it off before it tripped! There is a huge push, by the electrical industry, to replaced fuse panels with breakers, & I think it's a ripoff, as folks are paying thousands for this service. I'm in process of building my retirement home & 3200 sf workshop/storage, and everything is protected with fuses, because they blow when they are supposed to blow! I see adverts for guys wanting to buy used breaker boxes because they are tired of replacing blown fuses; if they are blowing, it's for a reason! In your case, I'm glad you didn't have a disaster result from that cable damage. BTW, my ME friend has built 3 or 4 new homes for himself, since he first made the comment on breakers, and he has put fuse panels in every one of those houses.

Di electric grease? Or no-ox?

Geez, it's been somewhere around 40 years ago that someone decided they needed it more than I did, but, probably, some sort of dielectric.

Merry Christmas to all.