585,744 active members*
5,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc plasma advice needed

I am looking at getting a cnc plasma cutter and would like to hear some opinions. So far I have looked at the arc light dynamics and ezcut cnc. The machine will be used in a light industrial application and we might use it for some pipe fitting before welding(4th axis). Let me her the good and bad.

Thanks

My vote is for Shop Sabre. ShopSabre | CNC Routers | CNC Router Tables | CNC Wood Router | CNC Laser Cutter | CNC Plasma Cutters | CNC Machine We have the model 4896. It is a very well build table for a decent price. Their customer service is excellent as well. I also recently inquired with them about a 4th axis for cutting round pipe and square tubing. They said that they are working on a system to cut both. I believe they can currenly only cut round in their system.

I would also recommend sticking with a Hypertherm plasma cutter. We started out with a Thermal Dynamics A80 and recently upgraded to a Hyperterm Powermax 85. The Hyperterm is a dream to operate compared to the TD. The consumables also last 4-5 times longer.

Thanks for the reply, I should mention that the first job that will be cut on the machine will be 1" plate.

"light industrial" - sounds like "heavy industrial" to me. Lots of amperage required and a heavy duty table to handle 1" plate. Heavy duty fume removal required also. I would reccomend a Hypertherm Powermax 105 if you have 3 phase power. Otherwise a Powermax 85 at the least.

I just went through this in december.
    Being in Canada didn't have a lot of manufacturers machine around to look at and we set our budget at around 30K for the best machine we could get (5 X 10).
    We were impressed with the EZCut machine and it has great software, good speed for steppers, impressevily rigid for "bolt together aluminum", excellent tech support but piss poor downdraft system.
    For the same money the Tracker came across as cheaply built, flimsy and slow. Decent software and excellent tech support, really bad downdraft system.
    We went with the DynaTorch XLR8 table. Was about 5G more than the other 2. Software was almost as good as EZ (we didnt have a sales demo, just a quick show from a local user). Solid steel welded build. Closed loop servos (new panasonic system). Very good downdraft system. The unit we demod WAS a 3 year old machine - not an XLR8, which is a new and supposedly improved version.
    As far as cutting, we always new we were going with the Hypertherm Powermax 105. They claim 7/8 pierce, but any where I have been can pierce 1" all day.
    It takes them a bit of time to build the table, so mine is still a week or two out (supposed to be here before Feb 19).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Bill,

For heavy industrial cutting of 1" plate.....which we consider as 3 shifts a day, high production , high productivity commercial operations....w would specify either an HPR260 or an HPR400 plasma system.....these are 260 Amps and 400 Amp high definition class plasma's.

Light industrial systems (1 shift a day, low production, low productivity requirements) we would specify a MaxPro 200 (it can pierce all day on 1" at 200 amps).

Light industrial 3/4" applications can use a Powermax105.

The industrial plasma's are 100% duty cycle, liquid cooled torches and use oxygen for steel cutting. They cut faster, with better quality, and with 6 to 10 times the consumable life of an air plasma system....which results in a lower operating cost (lower cost per foot of cut). Basically you pay a lot more for heavier equipment for industrial use....the systems are more reliable over time, and keep manufacturing costs down.

Fifteen years ago you could not buy an "entry level" cnc machine as the cnc motion control technology was much more expensive and complicated as compared to today. Industrial machine are heavier and longer lasting...but typically cost $50k plus (for a 5 x 10). Today you can buy a decent 5 ax 10 machine at under $20K (with good motion control and torch height control)....but it still is lighter in construction compared to industrial machines.

There really is a fine line between what will last on a large industrial shop floor for 20 years...and what will last ion a small shop floor for the ame period of time!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

[QUOTE=plain ol Bill;1231120]"light industrial" - sounds like "heavy industrial" to me. Lots of amperage required and a heavy duty table to handle 1" plate. Heavy duty fume removal required also. I would reccomend a Hypertherm Powermax 105 if you have 3 phase power. Otherwise a Powermax 85 at the least.[/QUOTE