586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Allen Bradley 9 Series vs. Fanuc Controls

Allen Bradley 9 Series vs. Fanuc Controls

We currently have a Star SR-20 with Fanuc controls... I was wondering how different the same machine would be with Allen Bradley 9 Series controls. Is their a huge learning curve between the two? Is one better than the other? Would it be easy for someone who is strictly a Fanuc guy to make the transition since they already know the machine too?

Thanks in advance.

First I should tell that I was an Allen Bradley 9-series integrator from 1992 right through until they discontinued the series.

I've also integrated Fanuc controls from the 6 to 21i series.

To answer you question quickly: If properly integrated the 9-series will run you fanuc programs with minimal editing. just the name and canned cycle paramters.

I retrofitted many old fanucs with new 9-series, and typically the operators grew to like the 9-series better than the fanuc (typically, not always!)

Your BIGGEST concern however is not whether or not you will like it, it's whether or not you can get spare parts.

the 9-230 series, which was the base unit for 3-axis mills and lathes has some chip sets that have been obsolete and out of production since 2002 or so.

the fiber optics are aging, which means the machines tend to have random i/o ring timeouts.

right now there are only a few avenues for spare parts: ebay, an "authorized" place in texas, and a few parts resellers.

The parts are getting very expensive and very scarce.

good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by mdonovan View Post
    First I should tell that I was an Allen Bradley 9-series integrator from 1992 right through until they discontinued the series.

I've also integrated Fanuc controls from the 6 to 21i series.

To answer you question quickly: If properly integrated the 9-series will run you fanuc programs with minimal editing. just the name and canned cycle paramters.

I retrofitted many old fanucs with new 9-series, and typically the operators grew to like the 9-series better than the fanuc (typically, not always!)

Your BIGGEST concern however is not whether or not you will like it, it's whether or not you can get spare parts.

the 9-230 series, which was the base unit for 3-axis mills and lathes has some chip sets that have been obsolete and out of production since 2002 or so.

the fiber optics are aging, which means the machines tend to have random i/o ring timeouts.

right now there are only a few avenues for spare parts: ebay, an "authorized" place in texas, and a few parts resellers.

The parts are getting very expensive and very scarce.

good luck to you!
    This was EXTREMELY helpful... Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If we had a problem with the Allen Bradley controls, how much do you guesstimate it would cost to swap it out with a Fanuc controls if spare parts couldn't be found?

I guess I only worry about the support issue at this point.

Hi all,

Need help,Anybody have a ODS software for 9/230 series? If have,can u send to me? Urgent [email protected]