584,837 active members*
5,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using G96 when picking off

So I'm running a citizen A20 and we are trying to use G96 when picking off to use Surface feet per minute to try.

When it goes to pick off the spindle rpm syncs up with the back spindle and the back spindle comes in for pick off and when the part off tool comes down in X the RPMs never increase as the diameter gets smaller and smaller.

We were able to use G96 successfully in other parts of the program but when we try to pick off the RPMs never increase when the diameter gets smaller.
    Can these machines even use G96 when picking off? Any advice would be appreciated.

What is Spindle Speed Clamping set for?

both spindles were spinning around 2000 and they stay at that speed. we have G50 set to 8000 so when it picks off and the part off tool goes down to x -.05 and when the back spindle pulls away it jumps up to 8000 rpms.

EDIT: I guess what I should say is what is Spindle speed clamping and how do I change it?

G50 sets the max spindle speed, or clamping. Guessing there is something going on with running 2 spindles though with parameters or something. Might even be another G-code like G150 for the second spindle. I would sure be reading over the book.

ya we tried reading the book and tried to do the code like they way they had it in the book but it wasn't really working. I will check all the codes for the machine and see if G150 seems promising or if I can find some kind of spindle speed clamp code.

In order for the sub speed to follow the main, you will need to use :

G114.1 H1 D-2

This sets the sub to follow the mains' spindle speed. Cancel after the part-off with G113
    www.atmswiss.com

what is H1 and D-2 for?

My mistake, I forgot this had a Fanuc control.

There are some commands like M130 that are not written up in the books, but will work with the machine. Your bast bet might be to call Citizen directly and ask if there is a spindle sync command that can be used with this control.
    www.atmswiss.com

Have both spindles running in their respective directions, G814 spindle sync and M77 confirm sync. Then turn on your constant at what speed you want. You should only have to command s1 when they're synced but ive come to situations where this doesn't exactly work..

Big thing you're likely forgetting though: turn spindle speed fluctuation detect off for both the main and the sub! I forget the M codes off the top of my head (yay citizen for changing these across every machine..) but that's likely you're only problem.

G814/813 are the newer versions of G114.1/113, they're faster and don't require the arguments because well.. have you ever had to sync the main to anything other than the sub? Exactly. Lol.

Picking off with constant SFM is completely possible.

Ya I think I was looking at those spindle speed fluctuation codes yesterday but it will have to wait until monday im off until then.