585,744 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HELP! new to an old control (6M)

Hi!
    I just got two old Shizuoka 3B vertical machines with 6M Fanuc controls.
    I ran a couple of Okumas years ago and am trying to remember all the details I used to know by heart. I got these for hobby/side work.

One machine will not run in automatic. It will respond to commands in MDI, but I cannot get any response from even a simple program stored in memory. The tool changer is not working due to a bad micro switch. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it. I did the return to zero mentioned in the book. Any ideas on what I could be missing?

Cycle starting a 6M

The 6M itself should cycle start by just putting it into MEMORY mode and pressing the cycle start button. Some machine tool builders, however, add interlocks for safety. Your machine may have an interlock that prevents operation if the air pressure is low, the way lube is low, the tool changer is not locked in position, the door isn't closed, etc. It could be almost anything.

Some Fanuc 6Ms had "software overtravel limits", which required that you zero-return all 3 axes before it will let you cycle start. If it's an internal Fanuc condition like that, you'll get an alarm when you try to cycle start.

There should also be a cycle start light bulb or LED on the panel (or inside the cycle start button). If it lights up when you try to start, then the CNC is in cycle, but something is inhibiting the program from running. There is a diagnostic area (I think in the 700s) where you can see what the hang-up is. For example, if you hit an M03 in your program and the spindle doesn't come on, the CNC will sit there waiting for the spindle drive's "Up to speed" signal. There are about 5 or 6 conditions that will stop the CNC while it's "in cycle"

If the cycle start light does not come on at all, it's probably a safety interlock like I mentioned earlier. These interlocks won't show up in the Fanuc's diagnostics.

Good advice. It points out that you really need the manual for your machine. You should be able to get it here: http://www.machinemanuals.net/index.php

Karl

Hi and thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately most all that has been mentioned has been tried to no avail.
    Possibly a clue.
    When I switch to MEMO and press PRGRM,,,
    -I get the written progam on the screen.
    -Curser is blinking under the "O" of O0001
    -That is where everything stops progressing.
    -When I push START and/or CLS (cycle start),,, no lights or LEDS turn on,, nothing changes. It is almost like I never pushed any button.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    -Kelly
    ps When I get this thing running, I will need a drip feed pgm.
    Any good ones out there in free domain land?
    Again, thanks for the time you all put in to help the rest of us.

Hello, what switch is bad on the toolchanger? What type of toolchanger does the machine have, Arm or Wagon Wheel? What is on the next line of the program? Have you tried inputing the same program in MDI to see if it works.

I'm trying to remember the 6M control... If I haven't lost all my marbles yet, you should not be able to start your spindle in MDI or Auto if there is a safety interlock not made. Does your spindle come on in MDI?

Regards,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Dan Fritz,,,
    I see you sell DNC software. What would I need for a drip feed on my 6m?

DNC software

kstocklin: We've got two solutions for drip-feeding the 6M.

One solution is a direct parallel port DNC link, where we connect a PCs parallel printer (LPT) port directly to the Fanuc 6M mother board with a special BTR cable. Our MultiPort PC-DNC Editor software then sends files through the parallel port to the CNC, and the CNC thinks it's reading a paper tape. The files can be many megabytes in size, because they're never saved in the CNC memory. This solution only works if your PC is located very close to the Fanuc 6M controller. The parallel BTR cable can only be about 15 feet long. The BTR software lets you call files like subroutines, and it also lets you start running from the middle of a file easily.

The second solution is to install a BTR board in the CNC. The board would have some memory, and it would also have a "Streaming" mode where our software would be able to drip-feed the CNC. This solution works much better if your PC is going to be located some distance from the CNC. The connection from the PC to the board is by serial (RS232) and the board feeds the CNC with a short BTR cable.

The BTR board is more expensive ($1495 for the board and another $595 for the serial port DNC software). The direct parallel port connection sells as a kit for $1195, which includes the MultiPort PC-DNC Editor software and the special BTR cable.

Make sure your key is not on Edit. My 6M-B will not run if my key is set to Edit. Just a thought.

Sounds like you havent placed your Program file into your execution buffer..How are you loading programs into the execution buffer from the program directory? The 6M has no visible directory and a very limited program memory. Wipe out all the programs in the directory (storage) buffer . In Edit mode key in O1-9999 THEN DELETE... That will clear everything out... Reload the program you want or key it in with a new O letter address.ex: O1; (EOB) IN EDIT... of course... If you have no DNC interface you must be using punched tape... Good Luck..Hope I could help
    Drum

Behind the Tape Reader (BTR) for Baud rate (speed of transfer deceleration)