584,850 active members*
4,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Timing ID/OD threads on an OKUMA

Timing ID/OD threads on an OKUMA

Good morning,
    I am wondering if anyone has experience with synchronizing a thread start to another polar feature? I have an engineer asking how difficult it would be to have a thread starting at a specific C value to time up with other features on the part. I realize that any variation in the actual thread will affect the outcome, but I am curious if OKUMA has provisions for this in the control. The part will be run on an LT300 Twinstar with Y-axis control..most likely. Thanks in advance.

..don't know about a timing mechanism but if you have the luxury of having a test material you can run the thread, check the angle difference of the features then adjust the z start position of the thread. Variation in pitch diameter will affect the orientation so it depends on how tight your tolerance is.

By turning, it may be a little tricky, but if you are able to use live tooling and thread mill the threads, it shouldn't be too difficult. Then you could start your threads at the same relative X Z C positions and simply do a C axis interpolation move. I believe a G1 Z___ C360 M15/M16 F___ should do it, correct?

This is standard on any Okuma. All you need to do is shift your start point left or right in order to change your c-axis angle of engagement. It will be consistent on every thread thereafter.

1 pitch = 1 rev, so 1/2 pitch = 180 degrees, 1/4 pitch =90 degrees, etc.

Best regards,

Like the others have mentioned already, shifting your Z start point for the thread will do it.
    But multi-start threads can be programmed using the C axis which is handy if you don't have the space to keep pushing your Z back, so I would try and use that technique.
    If you need to change your rpm for cutting the thread for some reason, that will affect your timing very slightly too, so you would want to make that threading cycle bulletproof before you start.

Both ways will require some trial and error.

Have fun.