585,722 active members*
4,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > rebuilding an older machine..Advice please...

rebuilding an older machine..Advice please...

I'm new to the CNC world, but I got my hands on a solidly built Vytek Rebel 4x8' machine from an out-of-business sign shop. It's powered up and runs smooth using the control box.

I don't have any of the original software so I was looking to 'modernize' the machine by removing the servo motors and buying a stepper motor/controller kit and starting from scratch. This was recommended to me by a friend who has built his own machine and is a proponent of steppers, and the wealth of online knowledge available.

I pulled one of the motors, its a parvex rx320 7.8A 54V. DC with brushes. Now I have found these for sale (inverterdrive.com) and my question is this.... Should I try to find a drive controller for these motors or start fresh with a stepper kit? Also keeping in mind that I'm a newbie and will be learning as I go.

Will gladly provide pictures if this helps, any advice appreciated

Thanks!

IRONELEPHANT

In my opinion you will be ahead in a few ways by keeping the existing motors, providing they have a decent life left in them, brush length etc.
    In spite of what you 'biased' friend says, the servo is the best choice.
    So as well as having the motors in place, which are already correctly sized if presently doing a good job of operating the machine now, and hopefully have differential encoders, rather than resolvers etc.
    You would also have the correct power supply in place.
    So you just need a software package and DC drives.
    Being 54vdc motors, you should have a wide choice.
    That inverter drive is for a induction motor spindle, not servo's.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

if it were mine.. i would check mechanical parts first..
    motors are standerd, so a nema 34 motor same dimensinoed motrs... at their mounting..

for electronic... kelinginc has several controlbox and you can use your exist motors, and mach3 with new controlbox..
    if your motors are ok... i would stay at servo... more cost but more reliable..

you also can check camtronics.. they are expert of cnccontrol.. wouldnt surprize if they could drive you rebel with mach3 ...

I'm with Al. especially since it's currently running. Try to use the existing drives, but if you can't, it sounds like Gecko G320x's should work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

if system running theres not really reason to changing..

my concern was only leaving servos if they are in good condition yet.. using kelinging just a little extra help,
    kelinginc also sells gecko as much i know..

this router has a very heavy gantry.. experts migth suggest to using nema42 to drive the gantry... i just guessing..

Excellent advice. Thank you!

I've had this machine sitting for almost two years now, while concentrating on other more immediate money making projects, but it's time she helped pay the rent! So that largely influenced my interest in the complete kit approach...being assured that there wouldn't be compatibility issues. I just don't want to waste money going in the wrong direction and waste hours,days,weeks trying to troubleshoot out of it.

The existing controller is about the size of a hotel room air conditioner and when you open it up, looks like one of those telephone junction boxes on the street. If I can replace that with one of those gecko drives, seems like the way to go.

And yes, the Gantry is massive... full 1 inch plate steel on the end caps.

I'll pull the brushes out and check the length

Thanks again

IRONELEPHANT

If the brushes are worn, all may not be lost, it may pay to remove them and do a clean blow out carbon etc and inspect the commutators.
    Some of those older machines had huge cabinets with large control relays instead of SS PLC etc.
    I recall replacing an early GE CNC that had two 6'x6' cabinets, replaced with a Mitsubishi controller the size of a shoe box!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have worked on vyteks since they started making lasers shoot me aemail. ill see what I can do to help you
    bill@casemodman dot com