585,667 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 wont boot up need help

LB15 wont boot up need help

I'm hoping some one can help me, I have an LB15 lathe with OSP5000, it last ran fine 6 months ago. Due to being stored out side under tarps, there has been some moisture about.

Anyway when I tried to start it today, first it booted up ok but with no hydraulics, then after a few more power ups I got the hydraulics to start but then the display showed the attached details.

What does it mean?

See pics of the display attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LB15 CRT.jpg   LB15 CRT1.jpg  

it means you have a problem in the main control unit. it could be anything.... corroded wiring/connectors, a loose connection or a PCB or chip fault.

Im going to take another good look today, the machine has been very reliable, and the cabinets look dry and clean.
    So you think its a connection issue with the main controller ie the OSP5000 computer?
    Im bummed out, as I need to finish the job.....always the way.

I think I have see this display once before, but after a reboot it was ok. But not this time.

I was sort of thinking it had lost memory (operating system) or something like this, No?

Also all the lights and mean every light and LED on the control panel and CRT remain lit.

Hydraulic pump is running and I have hydraulic oil pressure.

Thanks I'll keep looking.

all lights go on when it boots. they only go off if there's no problem.

I didn't say it IS a connection issue. I said it can be anything but the alarm you show has memory locations so that suggests a CPU program execution fault i.e. a hardware problem. The memory board has connectors so may be a simple connection problem. Or the control software could be bad. Or it could be the main circuit board that is faulty.
    Storing a 30 year old CNC machine outside was a really stupid idea. Like I said, any one thing or multiple things inside the control box have faulted.

You shouldn't go poking inside the electrical cabinet if you don't know anything about it.
    Call Okuma service and ask them to look at it.

This plane test happens before the software loads on the okuma. This is communication between the CRP board and the CRT unit itself. Check the cables to make sure all is tight and dry. Then swap the CRP or CRT.

If batteries finished, memory is lost. Then it needs to load software and needs to change batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    all lights go on when it boots. they only go off if there's no problem.

I didn't say it IS a connection issue. I said it can be anything but the alarm you show has memory locations so that suggests a CPU program execution fault i.e. a hardware problem. The memory board has connectors so may be a simple connection problem. Or the control software could be bad. Or it could be the main circuit board that is faulty.
    Storing a 30 year old CNC machine outside was a really stupid idea. Like I said, any one thing or multiple things inside the control box have faulted.

You shouldn't go poking inside the electrical cabinet if you don't know anything about it.
    Call Okuma service and ask them to look at it.
    Thanks for the lecture on storing machines! I am an adult an am well aware of the pitfalls of moisture, If the topic of my thread was based on moisture prevention then your advice would be outstanding. Having owned Okuma machines for over 20years I’m also well aware of my local Okuma techs phone number and also well versed on his hourly rates. I’ve fixed these machines many times over the years and saved my self some good money. In the past I’ve also received some good fixes from this forum. Thus my post here.
    Obviously once I realize I can’t fix the machine I reluctantly call Mr Okuma in and prepare for a significant lightening of my wallet.

Cheers Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MCR-B II View Post
    If batteries finished, memory is lost. Then it needs to load software and needs to change batteries.
    I had thought of this, but have you actually experienced this as a cause for this particular Okuma fault or is it a hunch you have?

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by old timer okuma View Post
    This plane test happens before the software loads on the okuma. This is communication between the CRP board and the CRT unit itself. Check the cables to make sure all is tight and dry. Then swap the CRP or CRT.
    Old timer Okuma,
    That's that excellent advice, Although the machine has been well covered I feel the panel has had some moisture so this could be a good place to look. The machine will be in its new home soon, but for now I must make do.
    So you are saying that the plane test is testing for a hard wiring coupling between the NC control (computer) and the CRT display and panel? So are we looking for perhaps poor contacts on the green reset button and red kill button. These are a dual contact switchs from memory, and can give trouble.
    Also other connections and switches in the CRT and panel, I should test these for switching and connection?
    Some buttons do feel stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    Thanks for the lecture on storing machines! I am an adult an am well aware of the pitfalls of moisture, If the topic of my thread was based on moisture prevention then your advice would be outstanding. Having owned Okuma machines for over 20years I’m also well aware of my local Okuma techs phone number and also well versed on his hourly rates. I’ve fixed these machines many times over the years and saved my self some good money. In the past I’ve also received some good fixes from this forum. Thus my post here.
    Obviously once I realize I can’t fix the machine I reluctantly call Mr Okuma in and prepare for a significant lightening of my wallet.
    your reply was both amusing and amazing especially when the problem is caused by moisture, which apparently you are an expert on. thanks for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    your reply was both amusing and amazing especially when the problem is caused by moisture, which apparently you are an expert on. thanks for the entertainment.
    Glad you found my reply entertaining....but at the end of the day I am trying to fix my machine, so when you got something more to add other than "keep her dry" or "Dont go poking around" or "Just call Okuma service". I'd be very appreciative.

I think Mr "Old Timer Okuma" is my man.

Cheers Paul.

Stock OSP5000 machines don't have batteries. Only have batteries if the bubble memory was upgraded to the ram? Board from Okuma when the bubble memory failed.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Stock OSP5000 machines don't have batteries. Only have batteries if the bubble memory was upgraded to the ram? Board from Okuma when the bubble memory failed.
    Thanks,
    Yeah Im pretty certain it has no batteries, I think "old timer Okuma" is on the money, next time I look at her I'll be inside behind the CRT and checking for connections and switching in there.

Cheers Paul.

hello,
    appreciating underthetires's advice - i think its not the software problem - not yet. you can switch install mode, reset the machine and see what happens. if it fails same way again - you have some hardware problem. if it goes to install mode - then try to reload soft, im not completely sure but it should format the memory during this. of course if the memory board is the reason....

Install mode, I was not aware of that? This is an LB15 OSP5000 control.

Would you mind describing the process.

Cheers Mate!

there should be a switch inside the control cabinet signed "install mode" - switch or lever. switch it, close to it there is a button signed "reset" - push it. take care to have nothing inside floppy drive. You will see if osp goes inside install mode or not. i guess it will not.... but this case You will be able to eliminate the software problem at this point.

a little correction:
    the mode switch together with "reset" button can be located in tape reader panel in case of OSP5000.

youd better tell him how to deal with the problem not only "smart" advices

Yes, right.
    1. Power supply voltages ±24V, +12V, +5V;
    2. CPU cradle contacts;
    3. connections in CPU cradle;