585,722 active members*
3,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Learning this important skill.

I am not new to machining and have run a whole lot of different machines including manuals in my time in this trade. I also love this trade and have learned huch here on this site for which I 'am very grateful. My weakness is that in our shop we have proven programs for parts which we run regularly. On nights sometimes I have a new part and program or either a proven program which still needs depending upon the several programmers we have had over the years. Since we do not have the resources as they do on nights we scrounge for tools and must try to fix up some programs we have given to us to run. Please mentor me advice on what to do to improve and to suggest programs which I may write and then save them to USB so that I may do simple things which will help me stand out. Any kind advice from you who may have gone through this in your past which will help is much appreciated. My goals are doing better for my employer and also making my value such I may receive a raise or be kept on if there is a layoff. Any ideas to be more productive is welcome alsothe runs are smaller. I have figured I have been stuck in a rut as higher production is what I mainly did and did not learn as I should have. Please help me to be of good value to my employer. Thank you in Advance.:stickpoke

Google G-code and read , read, read then come back and ask questions

it can take many years to gain the ability to be able to solve any CNC machining problem. you could start by re-programming all your parts using only drawings and your knowledge of tooling and machining methods. then simulate the programs with software like CNCSimulator or NCPlot. it's a lot of work but you can only learn if you do real jobs. If you make up things its not the same.
    When you encounter a problem with your re-programming come here and ask questions. we'll offer advise to solve your problem and you will learn something in the process.

As suggested, read and study all you can about G-code. Get the programming manuals for the machines you work with and begin to get familiar with them so that later you can reference them easily. Don't steal the manuals from your company. Those manuals are intended to stay with each machine for its entire life. Many times employees will steal the machine manuals. Don't do this. If you can match up existing programs with part prints, study them. See how the program was written in relation to the material and part dimensions. Get some back plotting software as was suggested so that you can visually see how G-code will effect tool movement. Centroid used to have a good programming video for its software. If it is still available, watch it. It gives a lot of basics that will apply to other systems and shows association between a part drawing and the G-code needed. Finally, ask a lot of specific questions here on CNCZone. Be ready to share part drawings or sketches as needed.

Re: Learning this important skill.

I have been working on the G codes and asking help from some very experienced fellows my age yet very good with G code. I have learned a lot and it has helped me a lot. I appreciate the fact that here there are good members like yourselves who are willing to give some positive help and patient feedback. I do not know how much longer I can keep working at my point in life and figure it should be another decade. I love the manuals also and have made many things over the years which have been very enjoyable for me. Thank you guys. I will continue to follow your helpful advice.