584,861 active members*
4,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Coming - Need Electrical Advice

Hi All,

I've just placed an order for an LC1390 from G.Weike. It has a large 50" x 36" bed and a 100W laser tube.

I now need to begin renovating my garage to act as my workshop and I'm fairly ignorant regarding anything electrical (beyond changing out a simple outlet or switch).

There are currently only a couple wall outlets out in the garage, none close to where the laser will be set up. The main breaker box for the house is about 40 feet away from where the laser will be.

When I contact an electrician about running additional power to my garage, what specifically will I need to ask for? (BTW, I think all G.Weike machines arrive set up for 220V)

I will also be running a large industrial air compressor as well. I don't have that yet, but it will not be the type that will just plug into a standard wall socket.

I'm really a novice, but I'm eager to learn, so I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
    John

Electrical

John

I just got my 1290 from Gwieke... I asked & it is wired for 110v. I use it on one 15W circuit & all the other plug ins etc on another 15W circuit. Everything on that end is working fine like that.

Also the air fittings may need some work... The hose comes barbed for a push on hose... You can convert it, just remember the threads will be metric.

Bob

Thanks -
    Do the lasers at this size need to be hard wired to a box, or do they come with a plug?

Do the various other electrical accessories - air assist, cooler, exhaust - run with their own plugs?

Thanks,
    John

If you are getting a supply run out to the shop, I would get 220v and neutral 50amps circuit.
    If you skimp, you are going to get voltage dips or short brown outs when something large kicks in and also you won't have to worry about adding other items in the future.
    It is going to cost very little extra as the labour installation cost is around the same.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Well I can't speak to a model 1390, but the 1290 has a regular plug... Very similar to a desktop computer style..just thicker. I suspect a 1390 is identical.. Just a bit bigger.

The other accessories all have there own power plugs.. If you ask your sales rep they should be able to get you pictures of any of these.

The laser has plugs in it... But don't use them... Putting everything through the one circuit will come very close to blowing the circuit, depending on how much etc etc.

Also I couldn't agree with Al more about having lots of power... You never know what you will add in the future...

Ummm make sure you check the rating of the inbound wire, make sure it has a good margin over the breaker you will be using (mcb).
    Remember to watch for voltage drop if the wire is either long, thin or on a radial circuit.

I have no idea what building control is like over there but here running power to an outside building is a minefield of paperwork (I've just finished doing it)

best wishes

Dave

I ordered a G Weike laser as well beginning of November, I considered having it in my garage but I decided to get a somewhat smaller unit that could live indoors. Otherwise I'd be in your shoes!

Actually if I hadn't had a "Hmmmm" moment and decided to measure my doorways, I'd still be.