585,735 active members*
4,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Apparent short sightedness of U.S. Companies

Apparent short sightedness of U.S. Companies

I am continually surprised at the attitude of Some U.S. Co.'s that will not, or appear not to ship to Canada?
    My latest inquiries with a US company, ProCut Systems which incidentally is only 600mls from me, have so far gone unanswered, I suspect from their ebay ads that it is because of the export issue.
    I don't accept the usual excuse as to the 'extra paper work'.
    I have been shipping back and forth across the border for over 25yrs on a regular basis and know exactly what is involved, and it is trivial.
    It smacks to me of something lacking, especially lack of entrepreneurial spirit?
    I would think US dollars are the same, no matter where they come from?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Shipping to Canada from US

There is absolutely no reason not to ship to our friends in Canada.

I sell on ebay [for years now] and have shipped to Canada a lot, with only one problem, and that was a buyer who was obviously not an English speaker, nor from Quebec, [the grammar and phrasing was like some of the Nigerian ads I use to get ... shocking eh!] who tried to get me to refund money after 6-weeks had passed. I complained to ebay, he is now no longer registered.

To ship to Canada from the US there is only one additional piece of paper work, a very simple custom's declaration that is supplied by the US Postal Service. Takes two-minutes to fill out this form. The number on the form can be used to track the item, though I forgot how far it tracks the shipping.

Are you sure that the seller is aware of exactly what paper work is required? The fact that you "know exactly what is involved" does not mean everyone else also do.

I have no idea what paper work has to be completed in order to export a product from the country I live in.

And if I were producing/importing products on a relatively small scale I wouldn't be interested in trying to find out what the necessary paper work is. Especially not if I lived and ran a company in a country as large as the US, with the customer base that lives within such a country.

Because I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that there are several forms and applications to complete, that they are rejected on miniscule details like "that isn't the official shade that is called "RED"", and so on. (I am talking about exporting from Sweden, since I now know how easy it is to export from the US. )

I have been importing/exporting to the US for many years and I know just what paper work is involved, in the case of US to Canada it is minimal.
    I can only guess at this point what the Companies reasons were, as so far they have ignored my emails?
    A simple reply would have been appreciated!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.