585,722 active members*
4,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF3-SS : Spindle Motor Failure x 2

VF3-SS : Spindle Motor Failure x 2

Hey Guys

I have an older post here about some noise coming from our 2005 VF3SS.

We have since put about 2-3000 hours on it since we took delivery and mid September, we had the Motor replaced.

We are a 18 hour a day shop, and we run at 12K all the time. Word on the street is that Haas has gone with 4 motors, Lincoln, Baldor, Baldor-Haas, and Yaskawa.

2 Weeks later, we were missing tool changes, and couldn't orient spindle. After trying to swap out the Delta Wye Contactors, the tech figured out it was the encoder belt.

You swap out a motor for 4k and you don't include some normal wear and tear items in the "kit"?

Well, fast forward about 2 months, and based on an associates opinion, the Spindle motor is bad again. HFO Torrance will be out to check out the machine, but I will be pushing them HARD to replace it with a better Baldor-Haas or Yaskawa motor.

I am a big Haas fan. My company jocks them and they jock us on their Facebook page. I really want to continue to invest in their machinery, but uptime is critical. When we aren't making products to ship out the door and my guys can't come in to work, I take it very seriously.

Anyone else out there have a similar issue?

Nope
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

With the motor out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

New motor

Old motor

Re: VF3-SS : Spindle Motor Failure x 2

Can you please send the motor details or the data sheet with encoder details connection details.
    thanking you

Quote Originally Posted by ccjung View Post
    Hey Guys

I have an older post here about some noise coming from our 2005 VF3SS.

We have since put about 2-3000 hours on it since we took delivery and mid September, we had the Motor replaced.

We are a 18 hour a day shop, and we run at 12K all the time. Word on the street is that Haas has gone with 4 motors, Lincoln, Baldor, Baldor-Haas, and Yaskawa.

2 Weeks later, we were missing tool changes, and couldn't orient spindle. After trying to swap out the Delta Wye Contactors, the tech figured out it was the encoder belt.

You swap out a motor for 4k and you don't include some normal wear and tear items in the "kit"?

Well, fast forward about 2 months, and based on an associates opinion, the Spindle motor is bad again. HFO Torrance will be out to check out the machine, but I will be pushing them HARD to replace it with a better Baldor-Haas or Yaskawa motor.

I am a big Haas fan. My company jocks them and they jock us on their Facebook page. I really want to continue to invest in their machinery, but uptime is critical. When we aren't making products to ship out the door and my guys can't come in to work, I take it very seriously.

Anyone else out there have a similar issue?
    Sounds like you are not doing normal maintenance the encoder belt is nothing to do with the motor being changed, ( although they could of looked at it when the covers where off ) if you are running the motor at 12,000 RPM 18hr a day 7 days a week I would say they will not have a very long life unless the motor is rated for 12,000 RPM it is not going to last that long the Yaskawa might be the only motor in you list that has that rating, the other motors sure don't, I would be surprised if they are rated at 8,000 RPM continuous

The encoder should of been the first thing the Tec checked when a spindle won't orientate correctly, there must of been another reason for him to look at the contactor, most likely was faulty from age

Every part only has a service life
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Sounds like you are not doing normal maintenance the encoder belt is nothing to do with the motor being changed, ( although they could of looked at it when the covers where off ) if you are running the motor at 12,000 RPM 18hr a day 7 days a week I would say they will not have a very long life unless the motor is rated for 12,000 RPM it is not going to last that long the Yaskawa might be the only motor in you list that has that rating, the other motors sure don't, I would be surprised if they are rated at 8,000 RPM continuous

The encoder should of been the first thing the Tec checked when a spindle won't orientate correctly, there must of been another reason for him to look at the contactor, most likely was faulty from age

Every part only has a service life
    9 year old post.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    9 year old post.
    Wow got cought with that one when someone posts and opens up an old post I did not look at the date before I replied what I added may help someone with a problem like this I'm sure others have had failures with over working these spindle motors
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Wow got cought with that one when someone posts and opens up an old post I did not look at the date before I replied what I added may help someone with a problem like this I'm sure others have had failures with over working these spindle motors
    Happens to all of us, done it myself. Comes from a desire to help others.

Mike