586,009 active members*
4,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > where is the menu for continuous 4 axis functions?

where is the menu for continuous 4 axis functions?

sorry for the silly question but... I can't find the menu for the continuous 4 axis functions. I've enabled every MadCam toolbar, set the machine into 4 axis mode, and looked through the options ... how do I select, for example, continuous 4 axis parallel finishing as in the attached picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

Did you buy a 4-axis license?

madCAM four axis intro - YouTube!

yes, I have the full 4+5 axis version, and I can successfully replicate your indexed 4 axis tutorial where you create two 3D toolpaths then switch the machine setup to 4 axis and it will cut one then rotate the A axis then cut the other.
    I just can't seem to find the menu of continuous 4 axis functions... attached is the list of toolbars I see. The only functions on the "4-axis and 5-axis tools" toolbar is axis setup and C planes... no cutting functions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

The toolbar icon is the fourth in the MC 4.3 toolbar, called "Set 3.axis mode".
    Try to invoke it manually by writing "MadCAMCommand" and then "Select_Rotary_Axis". If you get the question to select axis you have the function available, but might need to check the toolbar again.

thanks Sven, yup I have that toolbar, and yes I get the question to select the rotary and spindle axis.

... discovered the explanation in the 4-axis section of the program help files: "[selecting the rotary and spindle axis] converts any toolpath strategy in madCAM to simultaneous 4 and 5-axis."

So for indexed 4 axis we set options/axis-setup to 3-axis machine, then select "3 axis mode" from the 3-axis mode toolbar, then generate toolpaths, then change axis setup to 4-axis before post processing.

For continuous 4 axis we set options/axis-setup to 4-axis machine, select rotary and spindle axis from the 3-axis mode toolbar, then generate toolpaths.

thanks for your help and patience :-)