585,712 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: What font?

What font?

What font would be good to use for nameplates about 1" high? The software I used before wouldn't accept the splines that most fonts convert to so I had to straightline trace the fonts I used.

Darth Yoda

if you need stick fonts look at bc #s 01, 04, 10, 11 and bc default,
    if you need box or block style look at , #s 12 thru 21 , 47, 48, and box,
    helvic and gothic may need a little work, not all fonts work as we think they should they are not good geomerty, there are doubles and broken enities,
    which can be fixed fairly easily, and this is true to everyones fonts

hope this helps a little

I know this as true , but why is this ?Especially BoBs Fonts.

JR
    someone smarter than me will have to answer that, the only thing i know is
    i can down load some fonts free or bought, some work some don't, but
    i dought there are many fonts made with machining or engraving in mind, made for web design or graffics arts , just to look at or print,

don't think a cam package was ever in mind, and they don't like missing lines, overlapping lines, or circles that are not circles and maybe some splines

BURR come in

I agree with you there,BUT,you would think BoBs Fonts would ok.

Most likely the BobCad fonts are a licensed library.

Fonts are more complicated than meets the eye. If you think about it, you could imagine. Without getting overly technical about fonts and how they work, I'll try to humanize it.

The font editor will be creating glyphs with varying specifics setup as preferences in the editor program. There can be vertical metrics (Automatic scaling of size) "weights" various encoding choices. Many things going on. Once the glyphs are defined and setup, the font is created.

Each glyph has it's own coordinate system with a base and x and y sizes (usually in pixals/points), whitespace, starting points, third order and second degree beziers... etc, etc..... The prefs of the font program can dictate (or not) how these things are handled. Essentially "Rendered".

All these things will/can be affected by the "reading" of the font (Ultimately, the rendering of the original bezier's, by various programs. The rendering can easily buggar up little connections defined. Like a Capital "A" for instance. The crossbar cannot be "joined" with the vertical walls in the center of that line. There has to be a break. Like the topbar of a capital T.... These areas can/will get the little gaps, overlaps when the font has been processed.