585,919 active members*
3,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RS 232 connection fagor 800T

can someone advise me how to connect a computer via the RS 232 connection with an Fagor 800 T controller ?

is an adaptor required , are there USB > RS 232 adaptors available to improve connectivity ?

is there any way i can increase memory on my 800T controller or is it easier just to do large programs in two parts and delete one / download one as required ?

i am told the machine previously had WiFi connection to the controller which was removed when they sold it to me.

this controller is fitted to a Jesco 2280 lathe

once i have a connection , what software do people recommend to run on my laptop for file conversion and for talking to my 800T ?

i use turbocad 18 for drawings but i have only just begun to learn programming

next question of many ..lol , is a mastercam course the best way to learn and the best platform to "build up on " an existing controller like the 800T which is a bit dated now ?

thankyou

Hey FixIt

Hey FixIt,

Read over this thread - One of the posts I wrote should answer a lot of your questions.

I put two posts in that thread that should get you started.

I only use the WinDNC program supplied by Fagor - and it works great for me. I use it on my F8020M CNC router and my F8040M CNC Mill.

WinDNC has a great "drip feed" routine for long programs in my F8020M that doesn't have a lot of memory.

You might also try to do an advanced search (pull down the search link above and select advance) and select a key word to search for (like RS232) and then in the lower right scroll down and select the FAGOR AUTOMATION forum only. You'll get a lot of relevant threads.

If you still have questions, problems, or need help - post here or send me a PM.

Regards,
    Todd

Todd,

I have no luck getting communication with F8020M I am using WINDNC and serial cable.

I just lost all parameter and progams due to battery loss I started back the machine but I am unable to write message file P99998.

Can you explain some sep to follow to communicate with machine?

Aaru

Hello Aaru,

What type of CNC is installed on the mill?
    Does the CNC have a PLC, or no PLC?

Did you check out this thread?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fagor_...8050_55_a.html

I have a post in that thread (about 1/2 way down) that has most of the information you should need to get your RS232 and WinDNC working.

I know that this information is for a F8025M, but the F8020M should be similar.

If the battery on the CNC has gone dead, you may have to reprogram some of the RS232 parameters (once you have replaced the battery with a new one). At the bottom of the above thread, there is an RS-232 .pdf file. Set the listed parameters to the appropriate values.

Hope this helps.
    R/Todd

Todd,

Thanks, It is fagor 8020MG with PLC64 boaring machine with 4 axis

I am unable to write message file manually

Aaru

Back To The OP (Original Poster)

Hi Fixit,

You still there?
    Please see some of my thougths below:

Quote Originally Posted by fixitonce View Post
    can someone advise me how to connect a computer via the RS 232 connection with an Fagor 800 T controller ?
    In my initial response I included a link to a thread where I had a couple of posts
    This Post
    And This Post
    about how to hook up the CNC to a computer using the RS-232 link. Was this helpful?

is an adaptor required , are there USB > RS 232 adaptors available to improve connectivity ?
    There are, and I talked about that in the 1st post above. They are actually USB to Serial adapters in general. However, you might have to make your own adapter cable to make sure that the pinouts of the RS-232 port are "talking to" the correct pins on the serial cable. That is addressed in the 2nd post above.

is there any way i can increase memory on my 800T controller or is it easier just to do large programs in two parts and delete one / download one as required ?
    No easy way to add memory. The best solution is to use a "drip feed" that is available on a variety of DNC programs that allow the computer to "talk to" the CNC. I would, however, recommend WinDNC as it is a Fagor software. It is not too complicated to learn to use and I have had good success with it on my F8025M and F8040M.
    And, it's a free download (see the Apollo Mach Tool link in the second post above).

i am told the machine previously had WiFi connection to the controller which was removed when they sold it to me.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with WiFi hooked to a CNC machine, but I know that there are systems that can do it. Also, machines can be retro fitted with ethernet connections. But, for the price - RS-232 and WinDNC is the most simple and cost effective way to go.

once i have a connection , what software do people recommend to run on my laptop for file conversion and for talking to my 800T ?
    WinDNC as I mentioned above.

i use turbocad 18 for drawings but i have only just begun to learn programming
    You will need a CAM software to write the code for your F800T. There are many, many options from free to expensive; from simple 2D to complex and 6-axis 3D. There are numerous threads on this topic alone. Do a few searches, read, and you will come to decide what is best for your application.

next question of many ..lol , is a mastercam course the best way to learn and the best platform to "build up on " an existing controller like the 800T which is a bit dated now ?
    I don't think you need to do a MasterCAM course - unless money is no object and you already have access to that software.
    There are also many options here. You can search for free info online on how to write Gcode. You can also find online courses that will teach you how to do any part of the machining process - including CAM/Gcode work. Also, you can always just grab the manual and learn how to write the G-code directly into the controller too. Except for complex, multi-axis sytems, sometimes just writing the code from scratch can be the fastest and easiest way to go.

I hope this info is helpful and what you were looking for. Please post again if you have any other questions.

Regards, Todd
    Oh BTW - I originally mentioned having a Fagor 8020M. I don't know why I did that, but I meant that I have a F8025M.