585,743 active members*
4,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acu-Rite MillPwr Problems

I have a Bridgeport with 2 Axis Millpwr 1.3.1

Two weeks ago when we went to turn the machine on the bootup screen just froze and it wouldn't do anything. After talking with Acu-Rite they said that we had to re-install the software. Well the software that I got off thier website did not work at all. So they sent me a boot disk and today we finally got it working except we couldn't home the machine. So I got back on the phone and they said that I needed to change a couple setting in the setup, and make sure all of the connections are tight. So I did and now I have a bigger problem. Every time I turn the machine on the servo motors float. Meaning they turn on with the machine in powered up and I cannot get them to stop. Plus on the screen it says that the emergency button in pushed in which it isn't.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what might be the problem.

Any help right now will greatly be appreciated.

If axis float, it means you are lacking a position loop. Probably a power supply issue as you say both axis are moving. But it could be a control issue (still power supply related) as you are in an E-STOP condition and no position loop. Can't say more as I am not familiar with the control.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Tazzer, I was wondering if you got your MillPwr problem resolved, and if so, what was causing the Estop condition? If you are getting axis drift at power up, then the enable signal from the CNC to the drives is already present. If the Estop button is pressed, there should not be any bus voltage to the amplifiers nor an enable signal. I have an old MillPwr that is saying it is in Estop even though the Estop circuit is working properly, It will not come out of Estop. If this is anything like the problem you experienced and have resolved it, I should would appreciate knowing how you got it going...

Tech Support

The Table Stop Button on your original release style Millpwr control is routed along the inside of the console across the CRT to an interface board near the power supply. Unplug all power and communication cables, open the console, and check the switch to insure it is working. If yes, clean the twisted pair of wires connecting the switch to the interface board. In some cases, carbon buildup and or iron deposits can cause a voltage leak to ground. This can look like an e-stop condition. If this fails to correct the problem, there may be a problem with the power supply. Thermal cycling of the power supply can cause a solder failure on one or more of the output pins. This often manifests as an intermittent power issue. You can reflow a bad solder joint with a soldering iron.

Keep in mind that this generation of Millpwr is two generation old and soon to be three. It is considered obsolete and limited service and parts are available. When the remaining inventory is depleted, you will be stuck with the proverbial swap meet solution. Now is the best time to upgrade to the current model. Acu-Rite is offering a good incentive discount when you do.

Also understand, Acu-Rite is very friendly when it comes to phone support and direct e-mail. there number is (800) 344-2311 and the e-mail form is http://www.acu-rite.com/modules/form...icerequest.cfm

Give 'em a try.

Millpwr screen problem

i have a 3 axis millpwr system that works perfectly except that the screen has started to bleed the blue background into the white boxes and lettering. The longer the screen is active the better it gets and seems to return to normal. i have called acu-rite technical support for some help and information with no success. Also asked if it was possible to purchase repair parts for this control from them and again no help. Has anyone encountered this same problem and can anyone tell me what has to be done to correct this. i have opened the control case and checked all the connections. i have also checked the voltage and all is what it's suppose to be. this system is 7 yrs. old and has worked flawlessly until now.

hi all I need a boot disk for my millpwr control can you tell me where to find this.?

I had that prob two time with mine... firts we sent it back and it was a connection loose cause by vibration.
    Second time we ask them to change the monitor.
    Like the old computer monitor, the display get fuzzie after years.
    Mine is ok now after 13500 hrs...

Msbarker,
    My milpwr did something simular to your discription (Bleeding screen). I was unplugging the console during periods of inactivity (Vacation) and storms to prevent possible voltage spike. When I stopped doing this the screen problem dissappeared.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by msbarker View Post
    i have a 3 axis millpwr system that works perfectly except that the screen has started to bleed the blue background into the white boxes and lettering. The longer the screen is active the better it gets and seems to return to normal. i have called acu-rite technical support for some help and information with no success. Also asked if it was possible to purchase repair parts for this control from them and again no help. Has anyone encountered this same problem and can anyone tell me what has to be done to correct this. i have opened the control case and checked all the connections. i have also checked the voltage and all is what it's suppose to be. this system is 7 yrs. old and has worked flawlessly until now.

I have a Millpwr 3 on my KentUSA knee mill. When I bought it I had to travel from Southern California to San Francisco. After I got it home and powered up, it was working fine, but after about a week the screen started scrambling and I was a little scarred that it was going out and I had just spent a bunch of money purchasing the machine. I opened the control and push lightly, "very gently" on the ribbon cables inside. It seemed to have clear up the issue and I have not had the screen go crazy since. My system is a 2008-9 and it seem fairly solid.

Re: Acu-Rite MillPwr Problems

Hello Tazzer, i got same problem as you, so could you share the boot disk for the millpowr
    thank you so much