585,956 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ST20 rigid tapping

I am rigid tapping on a 2010 ST20 and need to know if G84 G99 is the best way to ensure rigid tapping is activated. I am using rapid outputs GZERO software and it likes to give it a feed rate and reverse the spindle without a canned cycle. Is rigid tapping active with anything besides a g84 canned cycle?

didn't expect this to be a no reply question. I have not found anything out on it, but g84 g99 canned cycle appears to rigid tap perfectly.

G84 is Rigid Tap on all Haas's mill or lathe.

G99 (or G98) is a reference return point and doesn't change the tap cycle itself...(just where it retracts to)

G98 retracts to previous clearance plane (just prior to G84 line)
    G99 retracts to reference plane (R##)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_One View Post
    I have not found anything out on it.
    Do you have the manual????
    Get it here
    http://www.haascnc.com/doclib/manual...lish_lathe.pdf

This is right out of the manual

G84 Tapping Canned Cycle (Group 09)
    F Feed Rate
    R Position of the R plane
    *W Z-axis incremental distance
    *X X-axis motion command
    *Z Position of bottom of hole
    * indicates optional
    Programming Notes: It is not necessary to start the spindle CW before this
    canned cycle. The control does this automatically.
    Dual-spindle lathes: This canned cycle can be used only on the main spindle.
    Tim

Also look in your settings to see if Rigid Tapping is turned On or Off.

It is rigid tapping, rigid tap repeat is even on, I was asking if G84 is the only way to achieve rigid tapping on the ST20, I have successfully tapped holes in a rigid holder without using G84. also,wally, G98 on the ST20 is feed per minute, not a reference point as it is on haas and fanuc driven mills. G99 is feed per rev on the ST20 as well, not a reference point. I am having no problems rigid tapping, just amazed that the ST20 can use a feed rate along with a z move and rpm and not actually have rigid tapping engaged, and still make good tapped holes. Really good machine.

This is the code that will break taps on most machines, but the ST20 actually is so good that the encoder follows and still makes perfect holes with a rigid holder and does not break even small taps. This is code generated by rapid output, I always use G84 when writing by hand. Again, I am making parts with no difficulty, it was just a technical question.

T1111
    G97S250M3
    G54G0X0Z.05
    G1Z-.39F.0357
    M5
    M4
    Z.05
    M3
    M9
    M5
    G0X5.29
    M1

I personally would never program it like this. Just amazing that it can follow lead so perfectly.

This is the code that will break taps on most machines, but the ST20 actually is so good that the encoder follows and still makes perfect holes with a rigid holder and does not break even small taps. This is code generated by rapid output, I always use G84 when writing by hand. Again, I am making parts with no difficulty, it was just a technical question.

T1111
    G97S250M3
    G54G0X0Z.05
    G1Z-.39F.0357
    M5
    M4
    Z.05
    M3
    M9
    M5
    G0X5.29
    M1

I personally would never program it like this. Just amazing that it can follow lead so perfectly.

Video or it didn't happen...That program stops the Zaxis while the spindle is still on, then stops the spindle,then reverses the spindle before starting the Zaxis again...Try it on some 6-32 cut taps in 304SS then post the video.

Even with the slow rpm you are using I can't imagine which taps are OK with that scenario. It would almost make me think there is so much play and flex within the machine that it is allowing the turret to move whatever distance the spindle is pulling and pushing the tap while it stops then reverses.

You are right though on the G98/G99 lathe (I use them so much on a mill I had forgotten they are different on the lathes) but you should check out that manual for help.:cheers:
    Tim

Just a side note though - that program is basically what we would use for the floating tap heads on non rigid tap machines. Using a slightly slower feedrate going in the hole to allow the tap to move into the floating section of the holder which allows that stop/reverse/start funk.
    Tim

video or it didn't happen? I dont have anything to prove to anyone wally. I do this for a living, not to make up bull**** lies. It happens, and anyone with a ST20 can do it.

video or it didn't happen? I dont have anything to prove to anyone wally. I do this for a living, not to make up bull**** lies. It happens, and anyone with a ST20 can do it.
    LOL. Relax. You're new here so I'll just say that is how it works (I didn't make the rule but may call for it on occasion)...and we all pretty much do this for a living.

It's a waste of time even talking about your alternate code as G84 is the only safe way of ensuring that your spindle and drive are moving in sync. To say anyone with an ST lathe can use that program will lead many astray.
    Tim

That's why I said I would never personally program it that way. Geez you r a moron. Read what I wrote about it only working because of great encoder/spindle. I never said "hey please program your parts like this and they will be better". It was a question for someone who is a Haas ST20 expert, which you are obviously not.
    example; your written words were;

G84 is Rigid Tap on all Haas's mill or lathe.

G99 (or G98) is a reference return point and doesn't change the tap cycle itself...(just where it retracts to)

G98 retracts to previous clearance plane (just prior to G84 line)
    G99 retracts to reference plane (R##)

and you were wrong. Why r u wasting your and my time, just to look smart? It's not working.

Classic. You don't know that G84 is listed for rigid tap right in the manual but I am the moron. Keep on coming!

It was a question for someone who is a Haas ST20 expert, which you are obviously not.
    And neither are you...
    Tim

Wrong wally, I did know. It was a question to see if the g code was even feasible to Haas ST20 people. I think it is wrong, and don't know how my rookie operator didn't catch it and change it to G84, I was merely amazed that I didn't have a batch of scrap parts. Kiss it wally.

Also, wally, you were wrong. read your own words. I know it's hard to admit that G98 and G99 are different on the ST20 than a Haas or Fanuc controlled mill, but, wally, it's just plain true, you were wrong. Not me. I just had a theoretical question. Looks like you need to check your manual , not me.

Also, wally, you were wrong. read your own words.

I know it's hard to admit that G98 and G99 are different

Looks like you need to check your manual , not me.
    I admitted that the very next post after you reminded me of it. It wasn't hard to admit at all. Quite simple actually.

I don't own a Haas lathe Snoopy and never will so I don't much have a use for a Haas Lathe manual.

I think it is wrong, and don't know how my rookie operator didn't catch it and change it to G84,.

This kills me. Rookie operator eh?...LOL HAHAHAHA! Rookie programmer more likely.
    Tim

Thanks for all your help wally. people like you are what make forums like this suck. All of my operators write their own programs. If you can't you don't work for me. This guy is a rookie, and a decent one. So I have one question. If you don't own a Haas lathe, (or manual) why are you being so **helpful** on the Haas lathe forum? Once more, you've answered all my questions so efficiently, thanks wally

Just kiddin wally. I know u r here because you know everything