584,841 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM 8 - Any New News?
Page 1 of 2 12

SprutCAM 8 - Any New News?

Have been waiting for further updates on SprutCAM 8, but the silence is deafening.

Early issues with the online registration appear to have been resolved. Other than that, there don't seem to be any major problems (at least none that anyone is complaining about).

Has everyone's upgrade experience been so uneventful that they see no reason to comment, or is everyone hanging back until someone else takes the leap?

Mike Henry -- Very interested to hear your thoughts on the upgrade.

Hi,

The disk and dongle are sitting right by my PC waiting for me to get to them. Hopefully I'll have something to report by Friday or Saturday.

Mike

Just loaded and experimented

I just loaded Sprut 8 and started twiddling with it. Got a bunch of crashes while trying to simulate a hole being drilled. The hole operation parameters, differ a lot from sprut 7. I also can't get sprut 7 to recognize the new sprut 8 dongle.

Alan

SprutCAM 8

After talking to Tormach, I learned how to make the new dongle work with both Sprut 7 and Sprut 8. And after a day I figured out the new interface and some of the new operation parameters. It all seems to work much smother then Sprut7 and faster, and it takes advantage of my quad processors and 16 GBytes of memory, so so far no crashes. As I familiarize myself with this new version, I'll report more.

cheers
    Alan

In the "SprutCAM 8 Stability" thread, RndmNmbr states:

"SC8 is a LOT slower than SC7. I was not expecting this. SC8 stops to "think" (i.e. freezes) a lot more than 7 did. (I keep thinking it's going to crash but so far it always comes back.) I'm on a 6 core machine - I thought this version was supposed to leverage that but it doesn't seem to even during long path generation runs it only seems to be loading a single core."

Alan's experience seems to be quite different, i.e. SprutCAM 8 is making efficient use of his multilple cores.

Since the optimization for multi-core CPUs would be my main reason to upgrade, RndmNmbr's comment concerns me. Are others' experiences more like Rndm's or Alan's?

At this point, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to hold off at least until the first Service Pack come out.

All opinions wecome.

Continued the saga with SC8, I am encountering big problems with simulation performance. Whenever a new operation is added or if one just switches between the simulation and machining, or any other tab, when returning to simulation the simulation results resets to the original workpiece. Basically the same as if one was to press the big X in SC7 to reset the simulation. Also pressing the next simulation button sometimes results in "Catastrophic Failure"
    and the 'simulate to this operation' button does not do anything.

The hole machining operations parameters are completely different then the help file, which looks like it is meant for SC7. The new parameters as well as actual hole parameters are totally different and take some deciphering.

Seems all very buggy

cheers
    Alan K

I am running a 30-day evaluation of SprutCAM 8 Expert build 0.3 on a Windows XP SP3 box with 2GB ram and it seems very stable and fast to me

Mike Campbell

I'm not sure what other's experiences have been with version 8 but at first it seemed OK however the more I use the worse I find it to be. For one it is much slower in generating tool paths than version 7. The simulation only randomly works. I have had a couple unexpected crashes. The hole parameters are weird and the .step file input capability is through a 3rd party program that has to be downloaded and installed. The code that is posted for holes is also strange. Version 7 used a G73 for chip brake but version 8 uses G83. Also, version 7 used only G code for a string of holes but version 8 inserts one after each hole which makes it difficult if a parameter has to be tweaked. You can't simply delete the extra ones because it also inserts a G00 with each new hole move which messes up the canned cycle. This may be good or bad - I haven't determined which as I'm not quite sure if the old method did rapid feeds between hole position moves.

All in all, except for the cosmetic changes... I haven't seen much benefit in switching to version 8 yet. In fact my experience is that things were faster and more stable under version 7.

Just my 2 cents!

My 2 cents for what it is worth:
    Periodically I advise that you exit SC8 and even rebooting the computer may help, SC seems to have a problem using memory and releasing it when done which means it gets consumed and can leave you with a crash potential situation. I'm not a computer geek up it helps me. (I'm running Windows 7 Pro with 8 gig memory)
    On Friday Tormach told me they have stopped selling 8 and gone back to 7. They said they would support 7 again.

One frustrating thing is that it will simulate and operation with a particular cutting path and then the next time without changes it will simulate it different. Frustrating.

The G-Code has lines of code that make no sense at all, they run, but why the extra lines.
    I do not like the dynamic leadin leadout, might help if anyone could provide some documentation as to how it is suppose to work.

Radius cutters error everytime even though the code works as planned in actual operation.

If an operation doesn't run to a green check, SC, should tell the programmer where the problem is not just saying it gouged the part. Where and why. The actual code runs perfect with no issue but why does it error?

The programmers are on holiday break until Jan 7 (crazy Europeans, more holiday and sick time then work time) so hopefully they will start getting serious about fixing the issues. They have a product that could be so much more.

Also SC8 does not have any acceptable improvements over 8 that justify an upgrade cost. The .STEP is a joke, 3rd party software I thk just converts the STEP to IGES and then SC imports the IGES. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    If an operation doesn't run to a green check, SC, should tell the programmer where the problem is not just saying it gouged the part. Where and why. The actual code runs perfect with no issue but why does it error?
    The command that causes the error can be found in the simulation tab. Look for the red exclamation point symbol and expand that section to find the cause of the error.

Mike

Thank you Mike, I did know that and the collisions that sprutcam is erroring on is the cutter itself engaging the workpiece in a planned machining operation. Thats not an error. For example I am using a face mill to flatten the top of the work piece and is taking a passing cut of .030". That is not a collision that as you know is what we are trying to do. Interesting this errored operation is followed by another errored operation which is to retract the face mill to its safe height after completion of the planned cut. How could that be an error?

This is just an example, so many many more just like it.

Its not the end of the world because I don't rely on any SC written program without carefully reviewing the program line for line followed by an initial test run in air above the workpiece.

I would have alot more confidence in the software if there were so many errors being reported that are not real.

By the way, I thk SC has a useable product that needs to be cleaned up and improved.

SprutCAM & Tormach

Hello all~

I have a job on my Tormach that's actually hitting a production run! I got ahold of Tormach and said I needed the All Post version of SprutCAM 7. There was a mess up when I ordered back in summer of 2011 and they incorrectly put Tormach-only post version on my order and shipped same. It took so long to get all the pieces of my mill - tool changer, tool holders, heck, what seems like half the machine - that when I caught it, I was told that they could sell it to me for the difference but by then, I could no longer afford it.

Long story short, last week, Jan 2 of 2012, I was told that they can not sell version 7 and everything had to be version 8. I could run both but I could had to buy 8 to get the all post version I wanted in the first place.

I have stuck with an older version of 7, 1.6.47769 because it was the only one i could run through all of the steps needed to make my part without crashing, locking or throwing constant errors. Version 8? I have looked at 2 different copies of 8... the very first that still worked with my 7 dongle - talk about not ready for release! and one from late December. I DON"T WANT VERSION 8!

I like my Tormach. It's got a "personality" but i can generally work with it. Sprutcam 7... I've got literally hundreds of hours into it and can do about anything you want to with it, quirks and all. But instead of churning out a more expensive program, fix the one you've been selling!

Sorry. Rather frustrated by this very recently.

UPDATE 1-7-2013 Bit the bullet and ordered the all post version. Was told that they are holding off until the version 8 is ready. Which they're expecting to be any day...

Maybe you should call Tormach or SprutCAMAmerica to see if they will give you a refund for SC 8.

Mike

Ollie,
    Not sure what all the issues are here but you might want to consider buying SC8 so that you have all the options you want. And then since SC8 is having numerous problems call Tormach and they will let you download the latest SC7 again with the stuff you need. Tormach told me they weren't supporting 8 currently and had gone back to 7 while the 8 issues get resolved.

The Russians are back at work now so hopefully they will start to solve the issues. I was told by Tormach that my contact information, along with a number of other users, had been passed on to the SC programmers and that they may contact me and others. We will see. I am using SC7 for now.

Quick update - i broke down and ordered the all-post version of 8. Bad news: the version of 7 i like... i can not make work with the new dongle. A new download of 7 does work... trying that option also.

I did jump ahead and have been working in 8.... latest download.... v. 61211 for x64. Funny. It worked for the first 2-3 days or so and now for the last day plus, enough hiccups to drive you crazy. Reinstalling it as i type.

Working with Eric to massage the post processor to run a Mazak Nexus 510c II. The post is close but needs a little massage. Kinda fun to jump from my Tormach 1100 that has rapids of 90 ipm to this Mazak 510c with rapids of... 1200ipm!

Anyhow, i'm making forward progress. will keep updating.

Oh. one more thing i found. Projects either started with or edited with v8 can no longer be opened in 7. The extension is the same...

Anyone having problems exporting from Solidworks 2013? When I press the SC8 export icon in SW. SC8 opens but there is nothing there. Eric had a teamviewer session and could not identify the problem so was wondering if it was just me?

jim

I am having the same problem importing from Solidworks to Sprutcam 8. I get a "LoadLib Failed” error message when I try. I contacted Eric 02/13/13 about the issue he told me to download the latest version of Sprutcam with a link that he provided. This did not solve the problem. I did advise Eric of the continued problem 03/2/13 but never received any responses or updates since then. Currently I am having to import into ver 7 using my ver 7 HASP then save the file. I then open ver 8 and load the file into ver 8. This is becoming a big hassle. Does anybody know of a solution to this?

Just an FYI, I was with Eric A last night at the Twin Cities user group meeting and Eric was running SC8 and solidworks in the background. He was jumping back and forth changing the model in SW and then it would update in his running SC8 on the fly. He said you have to have the addin activated in SC8 and Solidworks at the same time. I don't use SW's so not really familiar with all the issues.

The box is checked in the addin screen showing that it is activated. When I initially installed the original ver 8 the Solidworks addin worked perfectly. However, after I installed the update they did after the initial release it no longer worked and I would get the error message. Maybe they have a new version. It does not indicate any newer versions on the website for Tormach or Sprutcam America is there another location to look?

Another thing Eric said, "don't update your SC8 using the automatic update" He said that the SC people have disabled it now but don't even try. He said if you have a version that works stay with it.
    I'm still running the initial SC8 release..it works..and I am not going to change. Does everything I need.

Sorry to hear of the issues, you might try to revert to the earlier version if possible or maybe give Eric another ring

Page 1 of 2 12