585,719 active members*
4,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Optical Sensor to CNC control

We have an Esab-Heath shape cutter with an optical sensor and would like to add a cnc control such that I could switch back and forth between the cnc or optical system. We have been using a cnc burn table with a Burny control for years but have no experience with the optical system. There are times that being able just to use an existing pattern to make a few parts without programming the part would be of advantage.
    Who can I contact for a cnc conversion kit with the appropriate equipment to bypass the optical sensor?

I believe that one time Esab had a conversion that used both, but in the cases I have come across the user/operator ends up just using the CNC side and avoids using the trace cutting altogether.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks, I will check with Esab. I have several employees who are intimidated by the cnc, but would be comfortable using the optical or the manual controls. It will also be set up with oxy-acetylene to burn thicker plates (over 1/2") so the cnc table will not have to have the torch changed out for the over 1/2" thick plates. Altho most of our burning is 1/2" or less, there are times we cut up to 3", which then stops any other parts being made until this slow process is complete.

How does the optical work? Does it convert the traced pattern to g-code?

The one I know of which was some years ago, kept the same principle of controlling the servo's by the direct signal from the light/dark error produced by the head scanner, when using the CNC, it just switched the servo's over to CNC control.

In line with the intimidation factor, one operator on a conversion had been running the optical machine for years, when he was told he would have to also run it in CNC, it actually made him physically ill, but after 6 months he did not want to go back to the Trace side, and insisted on running in CNC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the input Al. Another benefit with keeping the optical is the ability to simply use an existing part as a pattern or trace something out. We are a low volume shop and at the present if the standard programs in the Burny does not suit the part needed, then I have to draw and convert the drawing file and then load it into the Burny. Sometimes quite time consuming for just a couple of parts. Only time will tell whether this concept is really practical. I am going to set the machine up and see what happens before I do a cnc conversion. Just want to be prepared for the future.

Doing so will it be more trouble? And whether the optic sensors and optical sensor is a function, if the function the same, I think it would be safer.