585,930 active members*
4,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > About the Gecko Drives...

About the Gecko Drives...

How does the gecko drive interpret codes into what pulses to send to the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by A2Nl301
    How does the gecko drive interpret codes into what pulses to send to the motor?
    The software that one uses such as Mach 3 or TurboCNC, or one of several others, interpets the g-code instructions (spindle on, spindle off, go to position X, Y, Z, clockwise movement, counter-clockwise movement, axis speed and numerous other commands). The required movement functions, which are the step and direction signals for each of the axis are then output thru the DB-25 parallel printer port as 5 Volt DC logic signals. These signals will be the step and direction signals among others.

The outputs go from the printer port thru a standard cable to a breakout board which has the printer port signals brought out to terminals for connections to the various drives, limit switches, home switches, relays, and so forth.

So, the bottom line is that the Geckos do not interpet any codes other than the step, direction, and inhibit signals (on stepper drives 201, 210, 212) plus other inputs on the servo drives. Each time the Gecko drive receives a step pulse, the drive sends the proper voltages to the motor to move a pre-determined distance. Also, if the direction signal level changes polarity, the motor will go in the opposite direction.

Hope this is useful.

Jerry

hey, where do i look into a breakout board and associated software, i would be happy if i could just jog one of these things. the price of one of these is chicken feed compared to the capability they offer

Download Mach3 from www.artofcnc.ca to control it, and you can get inexpensive breakout boards at www.cnc4pc.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

hows it going fellas? i just want to get my one g201 stepping. it seems to be wired right, and this is whats happening. while only running on 12volt, i scratch the step terminal with a 2 microsecond pulse from basic stamp(the lowset it will go), and it will hesitate back and forth(no consistent stepping). if i scratch step terminal to ground, it will lock and hold. i will get me a cnc4pc breakout board, but i cant do anything with my mach3 freeware. i dont know what i am doing, and i dont know where to look, other than to try and get a .5-5 microsec pulse generator, if that will even work. i would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    gabe at gp_fab

Quote Originally Posted by gabe pantess
    hows it going fellas? i just want to get my one g201 stepping. it seems to be wired right, and this is whats happening. while only running on 12volt, i scratch the step terminal with a 2 microsecond pulse from basic stamp(the lowset it will go), and it will hesitate back and forth(no consistent stepping). if i scratch step terminal to ground, it will lock and hold.
    On the Gecko, +5 volts is applied to pin #10. A low signal (0 Volts) is applied to the step and direction inputs. The (0 volts) is the common side of the 5 volt power supply.

To make it simple: The drive uses a low logic level input on the step and direction pins.

Also, the Gecko drive ( Pin 1 common, Pin 2 + DC ) requires at least 24 VDC to operate per factory specs.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry