585,604 active members*
3,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new machine, aluminum or steel ?

hi all
    i am currently making my second machine, i am using 400w dc servos, and mainly want to use it for aluminum .
    i have an option to build the machine either with aluminum parts or steel part or maybe a combination of both.
    anyone can tell me what should i expect from both materials?, and what consideration should i keep in mind before starting ?

thank u

Steel is stronger than Aluminum, also the more mass you have the better the machine will absorb/dampen vibrations.

The 400W servos are somewhat irrelevant because at 100 IPM rapids the may move tons due to gearing but direct drive at 1000 IPM rapids they may only move pounds?
    You will need to calculate your travel speeds, start and stop inertias and maximum work loads, whatever you have left over will be the maximum weight of your travelling components.

You may need to use Aluminum for weight reduction, but steel is best and the main machine body is best if made from a great big chunk of cast iron
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

3060 is what I'm using and it seems more than up to it. A six foot member clamped at both ends has a critical buckling load of ~45,000 pounds. The deflection with a 200lb load is .005 with a strong orientation (3in side down) and .018 with a weak orientation, if the weight is evenly distributed. If you need more than that you should be bracing the center of your table like they do with the bridgeports. They do have 3075.

Part No. Finish lbs. / Ft.
    3060 Clear Anodized 7.4801

Moment of Inertia Area weight
    IX= 6.5164"^4 IY= 22.0300"^4 6.4262 Sq./In.