585,762 active members*
4,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

om-A 1003 ESP OR OT alarm?

background: just got an old fanuc tape drill mate. it had a custom pallet change/loading mechanism and control wired into the main-board. I just got it powered up and I'm getting a 1003 ESP. OR OT. alarm message on start-up.

I have had this before alarm when I was decommissioning the machine. it occurred when I used the mpg wheel to the end of the table travel. I assumed that it was an over travel warning and jogging the table back into the centre fixed it.

the table is now roughly in the centre no limit switches are engaged and it has the alarm and the machine is "not ready".

I'm guessing the alarm may have something to do with the pallet changer that was wired in through the "ext" plug on the power/spindle drive cabinet. this plug is routed to the mainboard and is connected to one of the plugs down the left side of the board. all this wiring was disconnected in the move and I have know way of working out what went to which plugs on the machine side.

another possibility is that the encoders have lost there positions. the batteries were good before power was disconnected. but the machine is displaying an absolute position of x=0 y=0 z=0 even though the table isn't centred.

does anyone have a wiring diagram of the Ext plug?

any suggestions?

It sounds like you hit a hard limit when you moved the table before disconnecting. Did you physically check that the plunger for the limit switch has come back out or are you assuming it did because you moved the table to the centre?

I have physically checked all limit switches, x,y,z. I toggled them with my finger with the machine off. they all feel normal and click on and off and are smooth acting. I haven't confirmed that they are working with a multimeter.

You should be able to see the L.S. status on the diagnostic screen.
    If this is a soft limit, the usual way on most early fanuc was to hold the Cancel and P button at power up and wait for the initial screen.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You should be able to see the L.S. status on the diagnostic screen.
    sorry I'm not familiar with the terminology. just realised your referring to limit switches) where in the diagnostic list should I be looking?
    do you know where the emergency stop diagnostic bits are? especially an external e stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If this is a soft limit, the usual way on most early fanuc was to hold the Cancel and P button at power up and wait for the initial screen.
    Al.
    I have tried the P + can. it has never seemed to work on my control. maybe because it is om-a?

I found some info on the diagnostics but I'm a little confused with the terminology

I think I'm looking at diagnostic screen numbers

0021 bit#4 ESP
    0121 bit#4 ESP

are the bits labled from right to left? ie #7 #6 #5 #4 #3 #2 #1 #0 when looking at the screen?

the pdf i found states:
    ESP=0 indicates that emergency stop signal is input.

so if there is a 1 in bit #4 then the ESP is ok and not triggered?

Quote Originally Posted by landslide1 View Post
    I found some info on the diagnostics but I'm a little confused with the terminology

I think I'm looking at diagnostic screen numbers

0021 bit#4 ESP
    0121 bit#4 ESP

are the bits labled from right to left? ie #7 #6 #5 #4 #3 #2 #1 #0 when looking at the screen?

the pdf i found states:
    ESP=0 indicates that emergency stop signal is input.

so if there is a 1 in bit #4 then the ESP is ok and not triggered?
    Yes, bits are labeled from right to left.
    21 bit 4 or 121 bit 4 should be a one. Check at the EMG for 24VDC.
    Regards
    Alex

thanks alex.

both bits are 0's on 21 and 121 so I guess it confirms an emergency stop and there is no point playing with the OT switches.

I checked the E-stop on the control panel and it has 24 volts. when I push it it breaks the circuit and I can hear a relay click off in the spindle control box. the relay resets when I release the e-stop button.

what else can cause a software E stop signal?

It is a hardware EMG. You should check overtravel limit switches too.
    Regards
    Alex

thanks for the advice I'll check the limit switches next.

the main E stop circuit seems to be separated from this error code. the error code is causing the machine not ready state, but it isn't isolating the system the way the manual e stop does.

I'm wondering if the esp has to be a break in a 24V circuit (like an e-stop switch) or if it can be a failure elsewhere?

just did a quick check of the y axis because it was easy to access. it has 2 limit switches. one seems ok. it has continuity when released and zero potential across the terminals. when depressed it is open and has 24V across it.

however the other switch while it works and switches continuity on and off it has no voltage going to it. I tested in conjunction with the other switch to see if it needed a combination of the two to be depressed and nothing. I still didn't see any voltage across the terminals.

I have found all the maximum travel switches on the x,y, and z are all have no voltage. all other travel switches seem to be fine.

have I found a problem or is my test procedure incorrect? possibly a fuse? where should I look next?

if it is a bad switch or wiring why can't I use the OT-release to jog off it?

while this is for an 18 series it seems like it might be the case with my machine.
    FANUC-PAGE-6

"On a Fanuc control a Not Ready indication without the presence of an alarm usually means that the E-Stop circuit is open. On most machines, the hard limit switches are tied in series with the E- Stop circuit."

this seems to be what I'm getting as all the hard limit switches have no power.

While the machine is on, push the OT release and at the same time push the ON button. Do not let go the OT release until the servos power up or the or the EMG status is cleared.
    Regards
    Alex

how long does this procedure usually take? I held them down for a few minutes with no effect.

I traced the external plug that has been disconnected from the custom pallet changer and fount they ended up at the following plugs (ignore the colours):

M1
    pin 37 blue
    pin 26 white
    pin 11 black

M18
    pin 1 purple or orange 24V to earth
    pin 19 purple or orange 24V to earth
    (pins 1 and 19 seem to be connected in the loom between M18 and the ext plug which the pallet changer was connected to)

M2
    pin 45 brown
    pin 46 aqua
    pin 49 red
    pin 48 grey

rly
    pin 14 pink coil of relays cr5 cr6
    output side of Cr5 goes to LS x and y

if anyone knows what these pins are sometimes configured as It would probably help.

I'm going to continue looking at the rly (relay wiring) one of the pallet changer wires was going to the relay coils. the output from which then is routed to the limit switches.

Please check M1 pin 19. You should have 24VDC there. This is the EMG.
    Regards
    Alex

thanks Alex for the assistance.

M1 pin19 has 0V when the e-stop is out on the control panel.

I ended up calling fanuc in.

the wire going to the relay plug was one end of the estop chain. the control panel estop wasn't in series with the external estop. the other pin was connected to either M18-19 or M18-30 (i think I had this as M18-1 but that was looking at the wrong side of the plug) on the external plug these were pins 5 and 6.