585,973 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cutting jigsaw puzzles

i have read and searched around here, thought i would ask directly. i want to be able to cut jigsaw puzzles out of 3mm wood or plastic and i need precision with accurately repeatable results. i cant trust a die cut to be the same after its used up and replaced with another. because of this i plain to use a 36" plotter to print my images then glue/transfer them to my 3mm wood or plastic. 36" might be to big so im not holding to that if needed i can adjust. i feel a laser cnc cutter will provide the results i need but over the past few weeks i have not narrowed it down to one machine or even type. im not engraving or using 4axis and i will only ever cut the 3mm wood or plastic with it. but need to produce them to a good size. was hoping 36x36 or 36x24 so i can adjust if needed.

need help to understand the type of laser i would need
    also a large table type cnc machine? type? style? name? brand?

thanks for any help

One big problem with cutting jigsaws (quality ones) is Kerf, the parts will end up lose fitting unless you cut them all individually.

best wishes

Dave

I do not think the kerf would be THAT big of an issue.

Pm me if you'd like to do a test cut.

I think you're going to have to test on each machine. With the western machines, you can contact your local sales rep and they'll be able to do a demo for you. The Chinese machines will be a bit more difficult. Personally, I'd try to find someone local to you with a Chinese machine and ask if you can come down and run a sample on their machine.

I've cut an interlocking candle holder out of 3mm ply using a jigsaw type interlock (picture here). There is a little movement in the two pieces, but I would expect some movement in a wooden jigsaw; more than a cardboard one. You would presumably be cutting larger pieces than a normal cardboard jigsaw?

As for power; my cheap 40W CO2 laser zips through 3mm Birch plywood on about 30% power or 3mm acrylic at full power.

Edge burning marks will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gweikelasers View Post
    Edge burning marks will be a problem.
    To reduce burning, he could put the puzzle picture down and tape the back (facing up). He'll need a knife edge table and decent air flow to prevent soot on the picture, but it should work as long as he doesn't severely overpower the cut.