585,676 active members*
4,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thoughts about selling price

I have recently acquired an industrial machine that had been scrapped and it has virtually all the 80/20 material needed to built a full size 4 X 8 machine. So I am thinking about selling my current machine. The question is, what is the fair/going price for a home built CNC machine.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...y_machine.html

Here is a link to a post about my machine. I do not plan to sell the dust collection system or the vac hold down system with it. I will sell the dust collector hood with the machine, just not the dust collector itself. I am planning on selling the machine itself with the computer so it will be fully operational to the buyer as is. The machine rapids at 400 ipm and cuts well up to 200 ipm. Nema 23 4:1 drive rack and pinion. Acme screw Z axes and comes with Bosch 1617 router. Total hours on machine < 300. Solid state home sensors on all axes and mechanical travel limits on all axes as well.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Scott

No idea what you have invested but I would say 2500-3000. Start high and you can always come down!

I am not really sure about it's resale value, but here is MHO.

It is quite nicely built, but for the most part, the drive system uses hobby level components. (round unsupported rail, skate bearings, etc.)

The frame is reasonably solid, because of all of the bracing, but in general it is not an exceptionally stiff design.

It is a good design for light cuts and foam, but the Z clearance is too short to use for most foam work.

Potentially you can value it at $ 2500 and donate it to a school or non profit for a tax write off. Otherwise, the main value are the motors, drives, and angle iron.

In the same way a homebuilt computer depreciates very fast, so does a home built cnc router. Sorry, but I think it is worth maybe $ 500.

Also, keep in mind that when you or anyone sets out to build their own machine it is usually to suit a specific need that only you have as far as what your trying to accomplish by building it yourself to start with, like what drives you put on it, or what size steppers you install. Unfortunately, when you have a DIY machine, it is rarely appreciated as much by anyone else as it is by you. You mentioned that the computer is included with the machine, are you including any software as well.

the drive system uses hobby level components. (round unsupported rail, skate bearings, etc.)

The drive system is composed of precision 3/4" shaft supported every 4 inches. The bearings are industrial grade cam followers, the bearing holders and motor drive reduction are of my own design. The stepper motors are from Automation direct, they are industrial grade and the drive controller is a G540.

The Z axes clearance gives the ability to cut anything 1 inch or under, its primary function was and is to cut aluminum sheet and plates which I routinely use it for. It was designed for low profile and high stiffness.

Mach3 and SheetCam are pre-installed. I will purchase new software with the new machine.

Like was said, start high and come down as you are willing.

I let my last machine go for $2500 which was a little less than I had in it.
    That was including EVERYTHING. Dust collection, computer and expensive monitor, precise bits collets and router. This was 27" x 44" x 6" travel.
    I started it on craigslist at $5000, and lowered a couple hundred per week till I started getting replies, then left it there till sold.
    Now I did give away a few hundred hours of tinkering labor, and the extrusion was basically free. but thats how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00789.jpg  

People love to lowball and always ask "is that the best you can do," including myself :P. I'd start it at $2500

It all comes down on how desperate you are to sell or if you're in a rush, but yeah if you can wait a little bit and hope to see more potential buyers I'm sure the right deal will come along.