585,902 active members*
4,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc spindle drive "not ready"

Hi!

We just bought a used Kia SKT lathe 2003 and we can not get the spindle working!

It worked fine before the transportation but now the spindle does not go into "ready" state. It has a Fanuc 0t controller.

What could cause this problem??
    When power is turned on, all drives have the "--" not ready -code, and when the standby button is pressed, other drives go to "00" state, exept the spindle. The "--" lines are not flashing. X and Z axis work fine.

I've opened the drives to see if there are burned fuses or something but nothing seems to be out of order, I've also dis- and reconnected all the cables and measured the safety relays and they seem to work fine.

When the main power switch is turned on, alarms "20" and "11" flash by quickly before the spindle drive goes to "--" state. Don't know if this means something.

Can the hydraulic chuck "open-close" sensors have any affect to the drive? If the control thinks the chuck is in neither position? Because I thumbled with the sensors before as they were set way too far from the plate, at least according to the manual.

Also, when I try to spin the spindle with MDI and drive "not ready", an alarm 2032 occurs, it says "center position ng" or something similar.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyretta-Blaze View Post
    Hi!

Can the hydraulic chuck "open-close" sensors have any affect to the drive? If the control thinks the chuck is in neither position? Because I thumbled with the sensors before as they were set way too far from the plate, at least according to the manual.

Thank you in advance!
    Hello, It really depends on how the machine tool builder prepared the machine. It can be so safety "carefully" that the spindle goes into a non ready state if security issues happens. If you saw the machine running before, my recommendation is not to change a lot on the machine and try to understand what can cause that. Looking at the machine ladder can help as you can understand what situation is causing it.
    If the drive does not show you an error, then (and I do not know your machine), something is causing it not to be ready.

Our "problem" was solved, it was caused by the sum of ignorance and misunderstanding.

The "2032 center position ng" alarm simply informed that the center pinion (or what do you call it) was not driven to Forward position, in other words it was in negative position. Who knew that it would have to be moved towards the chuck before any program could be executed. The manual had so little information about this alarm, we did not realize what it was about.

And, because this alarm occurred and the spindle drive was in "--" state, we naturally assumed there was a problem with the spindle.

As soon as the spindle was commanded to spin, the drive changed its state to "00" -ready. When it was stopped, the drive went back to "--".

A Fanuc maintenance guy confirmed that this was totally normal behavior for a spindle drive.