585,763 active members*
4,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question: Integrated rack gears and rails?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge on the integrated racks from Atlanta Drive Systems? ATLANTA Integrated Racks

It appears to me that you first bolt the gear rack and your rail to each other and then bolt the assembly to your machine frame. Am I understanding that correctly?

What could be some pros & cons to this?

I came across Atlanta Drive Systems while searching for a truely integrated gear rack & rail, but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any links to such a product?

I'm not sure about the cons, but the pros would be mounting the racks. I tried to drill and tap holes in my gear racks; it was an absolute pain in the you know where!

Quote Originally Posted by IBU-14 Gunne View Post
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge on the integrated racks from Atlanta Drive Systems? ATLANTA Integrated Racks

It appears to me that you first bolt the gear rack and your rail to each other and then bolt the assembly to your machine frame. Am I understanding that correctly?

What could be some pros & cons to this?

I came across Atlanta Drive Systems while searching for a truely integrated gear rack & rail, but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any links to such a product?
    It looks like a nice system, though it looks really expensive.

Some things to consider for a plasma table: Plasma creates a lot of dust which can really foul up some linear rail systems with their ball bearings. A cheaper and more rubust system would be to use v-rails and v rollers.

I have round linear rails on my plasma for each side of the y axis, and though i haven't had any problems with it yet, the above caution was pointed out to me after the table was built. I went with vrails and v rollers for the x axis and i can now understand the logic behind the potential problems.