584,837 active members*
5,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mold release sprayer

an aluminum die cast company in my area is having problems with there castings releasing from the mold in there die casting machines.
    there mold release agent is hand sprayed on to the mold.
    sometimes the die caster employee's misses spraying part or the mold and or an uneven spray coat.
    i was thinking of mounting the spray nozzle on an x,y gantry at the back side of the machine and having the opperator press a button and the gantry would evenly spray the mold.
    there mold cavity is about 12" x 12"
    this area would have to be covered in about 5 seconds.
    total gantry movement would have to be about 18" x 18"
    the gantry, i think, should be vertical and mounted at the back side, not above the mold due to the tremendous heat. about 1500 degree's farenheight.
    the spray nozzle covers about a 4" wide area.
    the spray nozzle is not very heavy ( 1 lb.)
    they produce about 1200 parts a day, 5 days a week.
    i am thinking of linear bearings about 3/4" in dia.
    but i am not sure what kind of a drive system would work
    rubber toothed belt is out due to heat, acme or ball screw would wear out to quickly i think .
    any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ps: i am open to other movement sugestions as well.
    thank you all , in advance for your help .

When the parts are ejected from the mold there is a "window of opportunity" to have some [however many is needed] nozzles stationary mounted. Program a cycle at that position for the mold release to be applied. You can use micro sw. w/ a selonoid if you really needed to but PLC or whatever control you use would be optimal.

Man I think your hosed if it anything like most die cast companies ive seen. The maintenence guy will usually gerry-rig things to work and the heat and dust will muck most stuff up.

The diecaster I was in the same building with allways used this one type of spray and would load the stuff up in a weed killer type spray bottle (big tank with hose). These guys would use so much of this stuff they had to suck it off the floor after the shift change.

You didn't say what material they are casting. These guys were using a graphit spray in brass (makes an unholy mess) and a teflon release agent in aluminum and zinc.

I think if their employees cant remember something as basic as spraying the mold then they should maybe find some different guys. Thats almost as bad as forgeting to tighten the vise on a mill.

Personaly I would not touch a job like your sugesting. Because of the dirt and heat I think your going to have gumming up problems and or boiling problems (if the nosels are to close).

You will be marrying this one.

Good luck
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

miljnor

lol, guess you have been there, done that.
    everything you say is true.
    i've been there too and i should know better.
    thanks for the kick in the pants.
    been married, and i think i would prefer my X over this al. casting place.
    have a great day, i will
    ty

just to give you more of a kick in the right direction I asked my friend who owns a Die cast place.

he said and I quote "those things are night mares!"

I guess someone already makes an automatic sprayer!

he also said "why are the guys forgeting to spray the mold? Thats like forgeting to pull your hand out of the way as the die closes" Those guys shouldn't be working in the industry.

heheh

have fun
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Renite

Renite makes lubricants for forging, extruding and glass. They also have manual and automatic sprayers.
    www.renite.com