585,754 active members*
3,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > what cad/cam software are people using for milling machins?

what cad/cam software are people using for milling machins?

looking for cam software for creating gcode from cad drawings on a X7 mill

Cambam

Hi mate have a look at CamBam CamBam CNC Software
    very good for the price and a very good forum

Hi I've been using Cut2D for some time. The software is easy to use and supprisingly functional. I spend an entire 2 week a year ago downloading trial versions, reading thousands of pages of manuals only to find this product the best. Strange part was it was also the cheapest. The after sales support I got was fabulous to the point the email I got back in the first instance asked for my skype number so they could call (which they did at my nominated Australian Time) and discuss first hand the funtion of the software and to answer any questions I had.
    I've been using it for over a year now and I'm upgrading to vCarve Pro from the same software supplier. I use a cnc3040 router.

depends upon what you want to do ! This question comes up almost daily and it's difficult to answer without any info on what someone wants to machine or what they expect to spend .
    If you want pro software then I'm all over mastercam , It's easy to use , I use it regularly and I haven't come across much if anything that I couldn't accomplish with it , but it comes with a heavy price tag
    if your only planning on simple shapes and drilling holes then the most economical is to hand code .
    As was mentioned above both softwares are cheap and functional , personally I'd lean more toward cambam .
    Another cheap software if your more into surfacing and 3d stuff is the notorious bobcad , Quite often v23 comes up on ebay and it can be fairly cheap , it's an older version but in my opinion crashes far less than their newer version ( save button is a guys friend) . The newer version does have more 3d features which work pretty well and the code is safe most of the time , the 2d sucks
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........