585,670 active members*
4,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutter Compensation D ?

Hi,

I'm new to this company and I'm noticing some variations in how things are done. i've alway programmed a mill cut with wear comp, and no matter how many passes I made, only called out the D comp once. Ex; G41 D01 X0 Y0:. The cut would cancel at the G40, and on the remaining passes, only used G41 X0Y0. Next tool would be the same but G41 D2 and so on and so forth..

Here they call out the D1, D2 on every G41. I'm telling them that it's not needed- am I right? The reason it came up is I'm going over a program and there is 9 D39's. My worry is if the operator has to change all of them due to having to use a different tool # and will miss one scrapping a part.

Chappyd

it may depend on the control but the correct way is to put a D on the line with G41/G42 each time it is used.
    the machine *may* remember the D and it *may* not be necessary. you will need to test it on the machine with one G41 D... and then G40 then another G41 without a D and see if it compensates the diameter offset correctly. if not you need to put a D on each line where G41/G42 is used.
    to change many D's is really easy. if editing the program in windows you can do a search/replace in about 1 second.
    or you can search for D at the control (type D then press down arrow) then change it/them. search again and change etc.
    on a mill D is rarely used for anything else so it will not take a long time to find them all.

One convention I have picked up is to stick it in the once, with the G43...

T1M6
    S500M3
    G0G90X0Y0
    G43H1D1Z500.

Etc

Makes it easier to check if they match...

Tool numbers being altered is an issue here too...so I program tools/offsets using #101 up and list the current values in a local sub. Then to swap tools is merely a matter of altering a single number in the list.

DP