584,814 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thinking of buying one

Hello, I'm new to this particular forum and would like to get some feeback from some current owners of the CNC Patriot machines. I have a small shop and I'm in need of a cnc tool room style lathe. I understand the patriot will do milling as well but I have a couple cnc mills so would not be in need to really use it as a mill. What kind of perfermance should I expect as far as the lathe features. I have a tormach 1100 cnc mill with the tormach configured Mach3 and have been very pleased with it. Does the Partriot have limit switches? hold reliable tolerance? I'm not looking for a machine to do high production, mostly just ones and twos, small shafts, job shop type stuff etc.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks
    Blake

Is waiting for the upcoming Tormach CNC lathe an option?

I have been planning on waiting for he tormach cnc lathe to come out, just seems like I've been waiting a while now. I just ran across the Patriot and for the money it seemed like a real bargain.

Well, it's certainly tough to beat the Patriot's swing for that money and footprint. It would be nice to have 5C collet capability in the spindle, though.

Mike

I would love to see one of these things in person. I would have a hard time ordering one without every actually seeing one. When I purchased my tormach the company put me in contact with some owners that were within a couple of hours of me. Seeing the machine in person really helped in my decision.

Shoptask has a policy of not giving out customer names, but if you send an e- mail with your general location, they will forward it to owners in your area, then if the owner is willing to let you look they will contact you.

Thanks, I will send them an email , would really like to see one in person.

The Shopmaster machines do have a 5C capability by using various 5C collet chucks available on the market, or for quick and easy use- just a hex collet block held in the 3 jaw chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    The Shopmaster machines do have a 5C capability by using various 5C collet chucks available on the market, or for quick and easy use- just a hex collet block held in the 3 jaw chuck.
    Not quite the same thing as what one normally means by 5C-capable.

Lathe use only?

I own a Shopmaster Patriot. It is versitle and a good value for the price. I consoder it to be a high end home hobbiest product. It is not industrial grade. If you need a lathe look at Microkinetics. That may suit your needs better.

Terry

(group)

also thinking of buying one

I'm very close to purchasing a Shopmaster Patriot. Been looking at them for a couple of years along with other machines. This is purely hobby; new to machining; want to learn CNC (do software engineering for a living). Ultimately would like to make small gun parts and maybe help in restoring a beetle. I have limited space in the garage and even need to run a 220v circuit to support this. Any other system seems to have issues and/or cost much more than I will spend for a hobby.

Is the Patriot a good start?

Can anyone comment on the true footprint I should allocate to support it in the garage; clearance from wall; around the machine to work? etc

How did people deal with moving it into the garage? I have a gravel driveway and if a large truck is used to deliver it might have issues getting up my driveway especially in winter (New Hampshire).

Was going to add the DROs; what packages are worth getting with the machine?

Is the Patriot a good start?
    I bought a Shopmaster 2012 Patriot purely for my hobby (restoring old motorcycles) with absolutely zero machining or CNC programming experience. I did look at some of the other 3-in-1s out there but the Patriot seemed to be a real value given its capabilities and within my budget (think 15k+ for some of the dedicated higher-end machines). Having now used it for about a year, I have no second thoughts about it and would highly recommend it. With adjustment, you can easily get 0.001 accuracy and upto 0.0004 is possible.

Can anyone comment on the true footprint I should allocate to support it in the garage; clearance from wall; around the machine to work? etc

I have mine in my basement. I have about 6 inches clearance from the rear of the machine to my wall. Facing the machine, I have about 2 feet of clearance on the tailstock end and some very hot, hot water pipes!! On the left, next to the wiring and power panel, I have a moveable tool chest that doubles as my stand for the PC and monitor. You need to be able to get in to this box to finish the CNC wiring. In front, I have plenty of space, though you probably need maybe 3 to 4 feet in a pinch. Though I have space on top of the machine, you don't really need more than 1 foot or so with the mill fully raised.

How did people deal with moving it into the garage? I have a gravel driveway and if a large truck is used to deliver it might have issues getting up my driveway especially in winter (New Hampshire).

I live in Boston but as long as you don't have snow on the ground it should not be a problem. But I had to get three other guys to help me. The delivery truck offloaded it on my drive onto a pallet mover that I rented. Since I had to move it over a lawn, we had to put planks of wood on the grass and roll the pallet mover with the box with the machine in it on these planks. It fit through the basement door with enough clearance. We needed a Harbor Freight sourced small-engine crane to lift the machine onto the table once the table was moved into position. Weld wheels onto the table legs before you lift the machine on the table!

Was going to add the DROs;

I got them and highly recommend them, especially if you are like me with no machining experience. However, now that I pretty much use the CNC option all the time, Mach3 has its own virtual DROs that obviate the need for a Jenix type physical DRO.

What packages are worth getting with the machine?

I found the standard package that come with the machine more than adequate for the first baby steps. I believe Shopmaster intentionally keeps it simple in the beginning as most of us who buy this are complete novices. It is also why the CNC option is not wired in as standard, as they want you to get comfortable with manual machining before using Mach3. What you really spend money on is the tooling needed for your specific hobby. It is the old razor blade model - get them on the blades!! Your UPS guy loves Enco, your wife won't!

j2mariashop,
    thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

re: location.
    I have to run a 220v circuit. I am guessing the computer is separate power and I might as well place a 110v circuit right next to it?

re: moving it
    I was thinking of getting an engine hoist as well.

re: wheels on base.
    Does that affect the operation of the machine; will it cause movement? Can you share a picture?

thanks!

Here is a link to an album with some photos I took.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169829...CMfNg5G004XGIA

You do need regular 110v in addition to the 220v needed for the machine to run the DROs, the PC / Monitor, any lights, etc.

The machine does not rest on the wheels. I welded the brackets for the wheel casters such that the screw-in legs that come with the table can be screwed in lowering the table onto the wheels for any movement around the shop. When the move is over, just unscrew the legs, lifting the table off the wheels.

I have attached photos of my recently completed limit switch project.

Great pics and tips. Thanks

Got a new toy last week... several challenges getting it into the garage but its there now... now on to getting it setup.

..larry
    Attachment 181300

I've always said this & wished someone had mentioned it to me before I bought my Patriot, at least I could have been better prepared....

The current version Patriot is a real good start at a 3in1 that can perform with a good degree of precision & repeatability. The current price is what? Somewhere around $5-$6k? Once you get this into your garage, you'll EASILY spend the same amount for tooling, raw stock, coolant, measuring, setup, layout, & workholding. which doesn't even touch on the speciality tools that make your work a little easier, like dual dial indicators for tramming, a cylinder square, & mitey bites (I've got $200 tied up in those damn things)

I'm not going nuts with a catalog from VanSant, MSC Direct, or even Grainger, doing that would run you $8k or more, I'm talking Shars, WWTool, & eBay aka the cheaper spectrum. For example, I'd like to buy a kurt vise, but I won't, I've stuck with a cheaper brand & tore it down & finished machining to parts.

Anyway, you get the point. It took me about a year, year & a half before I could complete a part without having to get on the internet & order something. That's what aggravated me the most, is having to put everything on hold until some sort of widget was delivered before I could continue. I started adding up everything I've bought in support of my patriot, I stopped counting at $10k & wasn't finished!!! I'll never do that again...

So yeah, the patriot is a good machine but they'll come & go; it's your square's, micrometer's, & dial's that you'll have for the rest of your life.

Wormwood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thanks for the reply. I have gathered from reading various forums that a lot is spent on tooling. I view this as a project of projects. I only have a little bit of time a week to work on this. I have the electrician coming over today to install the 240V outlet where I need it...so the machine is not even setup.