585,578 active members*
3,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Mill Conversion

So I wanted to tell everyone how I was doing on my CNC mill build. First I want to say I got alot of help from many members on the forum.
    The machine was originally a Trionics handyman mill by . The mill vari head had to be rebuilt, several handles were broke, the controller did not work. I kept the original power supply and removed all driver board. I selected the PMDX breakout board and Gecko drives by the advice of TMDAY. We had several conversations on this project. A X box controller is used as a pendant. I also used the linear scales for a DRO hooked to Rogers Machine board. Im using Mach 3 software, my Cad/Cam is a old version of BobCad 17. Trying to move on to Solidworks and Bobcad V24, trying is the key word.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handyman mill 001.jpg   Picture 1 004.jpg  

I based my design on the Centriod knee mills it can be used as a manual mill then power is reapplied and and engage the quill and you have a CNC mill. I wired the power supply so I could shut down the stepper Breakout board and could still power the linear scales for DRO use.
    As of this week I have the Quill drive (Z axis) up and running. Im working on programming the quill and stepper precise movement. I have made two parts so far with the quill drive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0645.JPG  

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1355866600285.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1355866680955.jpg  

Next i have renshaw probe i want to digitiz some projects

If you get Solidworks, you should try the free HSMXpress CAM program before upgrading your Bobcad. It is excellent and integrates with Solidworks.

Unfortunate i already did. I have both i did get a great deal. But i can only get so far with it.

I have no affiliation with HSM, I just really like it and you might want to try it anyway. just curious, what do you mean about being limited?

The last cad software i was comfortable with was AutoCad 14. So its me thats not got use to using these new software in a productive manner.