585,975 active members*
5,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Ramp/Ramp out Contour help

Ramp/Ramp out Contour help

I am currently having to make a piece of tooling that has an ellipse slot that is .079 deep by .158 wide. I am using a .158 Ball Mill and have used master cam to write a contour program to ramp it in at .01 per step. That has been successful, but I am trying to avoid a gouge at the end where it makes its final pass and come up out of the work when finished. Is there any way I can have it ramp in like I have it currently, make a pass as final depth then ramp out along the same chain? Very much hoping someone understands what I am getting at haha.

Also attached a pic of the finished part to give an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0148.jpg  

Like this?
    check the settings on the lead in
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by qnet2 View Post
    Like this?
    check the settings on the lead in
    Guess I should have mentioned I am running MCX4. I have played with the lead in/outs, however they do not follow along the same chain so I turned them off on the original.

use the leadin /out specify the height of ramp in the box there, and make sure you are selecting tangent . then it will ramp down and up.

you do have cut parameters set to off , right? so the center of your tool is centered over the chain

Quote Originally Posted by qnet2 View Post
    use the leadin /out specify the height of ramp in the box there, and make sure you are selecting tangent . then it will ramp down and up.

you do have cut parameters set to off , right? so the center of your tool is centered over the chain
    I do have cutter comp off. When I set a lead out even with a ramp it still wants to come off the chain resulting in a gouge. When I set and arc radius of 0 and keep the line on tangent with 200% length it stays in the chain, but still just comes straight up, no ramp. I added a screen cap here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scrncap1.jpg  

post your mastercam file here and i'll see if i can fix it, zip it first

Draw in geometry yourself to drive the center line of the tool and then contour 3D. I just did that today on a part where any combination of lead in and lead out would have gouged the part.

A few times ive not been able to get MC to do what it should. and i had to restart the project with a fresh new file, then it worked. dont know why

Txcncman did you look at the mc file i posted? did it look right to you?

No, I did not look at your file. I am not at the office and do not have MasterCam at home.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Draw in geometry yourself to drive the center line of the tool and then contour 3D. I just did that today on a part where any combination of lead in and lead out would have gouged the part.
    Ahh ok, I'll try that and see how that goes. Guess that makes sense. I don't do much work in 3D except a project that I had to do a Flowline on a couple weeks back.

"ellipse slot that is .079 deep by .158 wide. I am using a .158 Ball Mill "

ahhh.... isn't this just a normal slot, done to the depth of the radius of the ballnose cutter

OK....the geometry to select is the centre of the actual slot
    - tool comp = OFF
    - XY offset = zero
    - lead in/out = OFF
    - Ramp pitch stepdown = 0.010"

toolpath created is a helix down to depth, then a final cleaning pass at full depth
    ---- as soon as the tool has lifted off the part ie 0.001", it can then rapid back to the clearance plane - if you need it to feed out of the cut, then uncheck the rapid retract on the tool parameter page