585,752 active members*
3,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > is there a small home shop haas cnc?
Page 1 of 2 12

is there a small home shop haas cnc?

Looking into a used home shop model , would appreciate any advice..

It's a no brainer.

need advice on which model of haas milling machine

one man home shop looking for a cnc mill small enough to get through a 38'' door. will reinforce the floor for the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by ruawake View Post
    one man home shop looking for a cnc mill small enough to get through a 38'' door. will reinforce the floor for the mill.
    Anything you can get through a 38 inch door you won't need to reenforce the floor for.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Second thought, let's end this with a simple answer-----NO. There are none.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Like I said before, this is a no brainer. I just went and looked on the Haas site and found this: Haas OM-1A | Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools . Where were you looking?

any macnines i looked at would not be able to get thru our front door.. we do not have a garage.. I know the mikini mechatronics goes thru 36 inch door, and is only 2000 lbs. , which i would reinforce the floor, and ceiling underneath the machine..
    I JUST HAVE HEARD ALOT OF NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE FROM OWNERS OF SAID MACHINE..ANY ADVICE would be appreciated

buy the machine , knock the wall down , move the machine in and put the wall back up

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Like I said before, this is a no brainer. I just went and looked on the Haas site and found this: Haas OM-1A | Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools . Where were you looking?
    When it's in the shipping position it's only 33" wide if i'm looking at it right. Seems like it might fit the bill......

Quote Originally Posted by vidio1 View Post
    When it's in the shipping position it's only 33" wide if i'm looking at it right. Seems like it might fit the bill......
    Somehow I don't believe he wants to spend $60,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Somehow I don't believe he wants to spend $60,000.
    Buy a used one as he stated in the first post?

I referenced the Haas web site so that he could get the size information since he posted in the Haas mill forum.

Stupid people can make simple solutions very complicated really quickly.

I referenced the Haas web site so that he could get the size information since he posted in the Haas mill forum.

Wow, wrong side of the bed again?

They have been out just a few years, I have never seen a used one for sale and if it were, it would be very expensive.

Okay "ruawake," how much do you wish to spend and I will look all over for you?

Mike

Yeah, I'm afraid that buying a used tool room mill, cutting a hole in the wall and replacing it after installation would be cheaper than a used Office Mill.

Aside from that: we haven't determined what he wants to do with it. The Office Mill is a high speed spindle, suited for small parts, dental work, jewelry, etc. If the OP genuinely needs to do common milling work, an Office Mill ain't gonna' do it.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Yeah, I'm afraid that buying a used tool room mill, cutting a hole in the wall and replacing it after installation would be cheaper than a used Office Mill.

Aside from that: we haven't determined what he wants to do with it. The Office Mill is a high speed spindle, suited for small parts, dental work, jewelry, etc. If the OP genuinely needs to do common milling work, an Office Mill ain't gonna' do it.
    Yes to all of that. In fact, if he can reenforce the floor he may own the house. In that case a shed built behind the house and an old VF-1 would be a better/less expensive choice. Or an add on garage or in the garage.

Many older early 90's VF-1s go for under $10,000. They are good machines and easy to repair and parts are available. My 91 is still running at the shop that bought me out.

A mini mill will run on single phase power, but a phase convertor is cheap and easy for a VF series mill.

Mike

i would be able to spend up to 20,000. on a mill capable of milling ss parts for a robotic arm and/or robot parts.

a cnc mill

i can't knock the wall down because of incorporated village and their over eager building inspectors, and our house is on the main road

If you are planning on making any money at all, find a very small industrial unit or even one to share and put the mill there. If like here, where I am, you have to deal with a strict code enforcement structure, it is just not worth the hassle to try to do it at home. You should, depending on where you live, be able to get a small unit for about $6,000 for a year or less.

$20,000 for a mill does not include a ton of money for tooling and tool holders. During the worst part of the recession, I bought my VF-2 for $12,000. But, I have invested another $10,000 + for tooling and such, hum maybe more and I repaired it myself.

Find a small shop like mine and you can get the parts you need made for less than the cost and learning curve that it will be for you to get a mill of your own. It is not just the cost of the machine, it is the learning curve to know how to run it and tool it, provide work holding etc. I work with inventors and such all the time.

I know it sounds inviting, but setting up a machine with all the tooling and knowledge it takes is quite a task. Sounds easy, but it is not.

PM me and I'll help you out.

Mike

Buy a Tormach 770 or 1100. I moved my 770 thru a 36" door without a problem.

Wade

^^^^ This. Tormach 770.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Thanks for all of your advice: I am learning from a machinist

learning on my manual ,mini metal lathe and mini mill, I need a larger workspace, and yes , I DO know how difficult this is.. But its in my blood, I am thinking about building a better worship for awhile now. the tormach seems a bit small, and uses steppers
    IF I KNEW i could start in my own home, I might wait 6 months and put more towards the cnc mill

Page 1 of 2 12