585,932 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by met4life View Post

Imo, your setup is probably the best I've seen. Very nice job on that! I would like to know more about specific parts used to make that (if you don't mind of course).
    Thanks! Here is a link to more info on it along with a video..

http://edsjunk.net/EdsJunk/Blog/Entr...rol_Panel.html

EDIT: Ed you responded at the same time I posted and got there first

Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004 View Post
    Are those joysticks analog? ...in that they also vary speed depending on amount of throw?

I like your control panel!

...and that keyboard..Are they still available someplace?
    Since he has not responded I will pass on what I know about his build which can be found here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...rol_panel.html

He is using the I-PAC keyboard encoder found here:

The I-PAC

It does not have analog inputs, all are digital (on/off).

You can get a similar controller that does have up to 8 analog axis and configure it for CNC control. It is called the Teensy++ 2.0 for 27.00 found here:

PJRC Store

and use Generic HID software to configure it in any fashion that you need. The software and a tutorial on building a CNC pendent can be found here:

Generic HID - DIY USB HID / Joystick / CNC Pendant

A more plug and play joystick controller (8 axis, 32 buttons [or up to 16 rotory encoders, mix and match] and a 4-way hat switch) can be purchased from Leo Bodnar here:

BU0836X 12-Bit Joystick Board [BU0836X] - £49.99 : Leo Bodnar, Simulator Electronics

I have used both in various Simulated Cockpit projects over the years.

The best controller that I have found so far (and the cheapest) for CNC has been the Contour Shuttle Pro. I purchased mine on Ebay for 20.00.

But if you want to create your own custom panel such as Ed3XP's excellent example you can use any of the above controller boards with very good results. The Teensy++ 2.0 is the cheapest and gives the greatest range of use (IMHO).

Before

Everyone's enclosures look so nice I'm getting jealous. I haven't had (taken) the time to build an enclosure yet, partly because I am still making configuration changes.

Once I have my spindle and VFD moutned I'll get rid of the SuperPID and put everything in a nice rack mounted case.

Here is a 'before' picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00501 SM.jpg  
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Just the controller enclosure for the main spindle of my recent CNC lathe project. Axis of support as inverter and PC are included in my mobil mill controller hand so have a separate enclosure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbenannt20.jpg  
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

Re: Show off your controller enclosure

I've had this old Dell Dimension E521 for quite sometime now and wanted to turn it into a CNC control case.

I have fabricated, welded and powder coated for many years and thought this would be a fun and cool project to build.

It's all welded, sandblasted and powder coated Astatic Red.

Objectives;

Designed this for a 4 axis unit
    Wanted to have easy access to all components
    Internally air cooled
    Cool looking

I still have a long way to go but at least to hard part is done...I hope!

Cable management is going to be the fun part.

Here is a Before picture.
    Attachment 248222

And the After pictures.

Attachment 248224Attachment 248226Attachment 248228Attachment 248230Attachment 248232Attachment 248234Attachment 248236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Power Supplies.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	248238

For the front panel, would it be possible to have an LED light to show what drives are in motion? I'd also like to have an LCD panel to show the voltage the power supply is running. This is just for coolness is all, but any help or ideas would be great. I'm not much on electronics!

This share is for everyone!! If you have questions about the build I'll be more than happy to answer your questions and maybe some guidelines to help you get started on your own.

More pictures to come when it's completed.

Thanks!

An added note: I spent the last 12 hours on this build on my wife's Birthday! Thank you for your understanding and hopes this gets me out of the doghouse!!
    I'm always having a PICNIC....Problem In Chair Not In Computer!

Finally got mine done:

The common practice in industrial panel building is to keep any heat sourcing items at the top of the cabinet, Large transformers, power supplies etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Mine is almost done. Once the router is running I will create a nice front panel.

Attachment 248256 Attachment 248258 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	248260

man, wish mine looked as good as these! I'm a bit short on space in mine. It's not finished btw

Here are a couple of pictures of my enclosure. I have two fans that pull air through a filter to cool the electronics inside. I made a temp. face for the enclosure from 1/8" plywood, with the idea that I would change some things. After using the machine for a bit now, I have found that I do not use the manual speed control for the SPID. If I need to change the spindle speed I will do it in Mach3. I will be removing this option from the front panel in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    I have found that I do not use the manual speed control for the SPID. If I need to change the spindle speed I will do it in Mach3. I will be removing this option from the front panel in the future.
    I thought that same thing once, but my sensor went out in the middle of a job and I didn't want to stop production to tear into it. I used the speed control knob for a few days until I had time to dig in.

Looks like I had a similar approach as CurtisBarclay. Started with an old Dell E521. Mine is pretty cramped, as I managed to cram in ALL electronics for my setup, including the computer. Computer also had to have a second parallel port installed via PCI slot, which is used exclusively for I/O stuff. Excuse the mess, pictures were taken while wiring was still in progress and un-sorted...

External buttons and manual control I/O (Start, Stop, E-Stop, XYZ Jog, etc...) and such connect through the DSUB9 connector on the back, and external sensors and table related I/O (Limit/Home, Probe, etc...) go through the DSUB15.

Ive got a couple other enclosures for other machines, but I think that this is the one that I am proudest of. Other enclosures are just simple boxes with necessary ports installed. Sometimes painted, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Seelesturm View Post
    Looks like I had a similar approach as CurtisBarclay.
    Great layout! Considering you have the PC and drives all in the same case. I had the same thoughts, but my concern was heat buildup between the motherboard and drives. Also I wanted ease of access to any component and to have the ability to expand in the future. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 of these cases, one for the PC and one for the drives.

As someone had mentioned I had the drives to close together and wouldn't dissipate heat very well and couldn't agree more.

Here is a picture of the first one I made;

Attachment 249168

Here is picture if the revised one I made;

Attachment 249170

Actually I like the new one better.

Heat is a little bit of an issue for me in that setup, but a couple precautions make it a bit better. Both 5 inch bays are replaced by fans that are aimed through the heat syncs on the drivers, which help quite a bit. Keeping it off of ridiculous uptimes also helps, hour on, hour off. In the machine that assembly is on, that is not usually a problem. Wire jungle of everything also adds a bit of an issue as well...

I have contemplated water cooling pads, but overall, the easiest solution would be to expand the assembly into two units, or just make a big box again.

Honestly, I spent so much time on it that I am not willing to admit it as needing to be completely redone yet haha

Page 3 of 3 123