585,886 active members*
5,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 18m Tool Changer Problem

Hello,
    I have a Supermax FV85A, like this http://s3.amazonaws.com/machinetools...8/IMG_5114.JPG. It has a Fanuc 18M control. For some reason my tool changer keeps crashing. I checked everything I could think of including air tool oil, Z home position, air pressure, spindle orientation, I changed the arms on my tool changer, I cleaned everything.
    This could be a combination of things, but It looks like the arm is grabbing my tool, but when it swings the tool into position to go into the spindle, it is raising the tool as it spins, and it is smacking the pull stud of my tool into the teeth on the collar of my spindle. It looks like it is raising the tool before the arm can get into position. And every once in a while, the arm will crash out and bend, or it will just freeze, and then we have to go to through the lengthy process of fixing it, or returning it to its home position manually.
    I have only been running this shop for about 6 months, but my operator tells me it has been doing this for quite some time. The fellow before me has a box of spare arms because it bent so often.
    So the question is, is there a perameter that I can change, or something I can plug into the tool change macro, to slow the tool changer down, or change the way it moves when it changes tho tool?
    Thanks

I'm not sure about a parameter change so I won't comment on that. How is the arm attached to the drive hub, with a taper lock coupling and dowels? It sounds as though maybe the coupling slipped and the dowels got bent and neither got changed the first time the arm crashed. If this is the case, it won't ever work right again.
    Does the ATC mechanism actually use a servo motor, or is it just an AC motor with a start/stop/brake cycle.

Most of the YCI Supermax tool changers have a small chain driven cam, that operates the timing prox's. I sounds like the chain is loose. Contact YCM in Santa Fe Springs CA. they are often helpfull.

I think it's just an ac Motor. When I manually re-adjust it, I have to climb on top of the machine, push in the break on the motor, and ratchet it through its whole cycle back into its home position. The arm on the tool changer hasn't been replaced, but it looks straight. The claws on each end have been replaced multiple times. I will try to verify wheather or not the arm is not level. I have noticed that when I turn up my air tool oil, it doesn't crash out anywhere near as often, but it is at the cost of having to re-fill the air tool oil every 6 to 8 hours. It really only has a problem when the air tool oil runs out, so if i had a lifetime supply of air tool oil, I would be ok. I checked the lines for the air tool , and there were some leaks, but I tightened or replaced everything that was leaking, and I think that's not the problem.

These have been replaced.
    http://spares.xyzmachinetools.com/me...G/000F5B37.JPG

This bit hasn't, but it looks straight. I will verify as best I can.
    http://spares.xyzmachinetools.com/me...G/000CEF2C.JPG

Sounds like
    1 the arm needs to be aligned on the shaft
    2 you need to adjust the air oiler for 1 drop every tool change cycle.