585,956 active members*
4,411 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Pressure Coolant

Hello all and happy holidays!
    I'm a swiss consultant/contractor which allows me visit numerous swiss houses and evaluate their procedures/operations. Once in a while for larger companies, I'm asked to evaluate setup procedures and try to help reduce setup time on swiss machines. Of course, there are many areas that I can bring up for discussion, but the one thing that I've seen stand out in setup time consumption is the plumbing the high pressure lines/nozzles.

Along with the tremendouse benefits of using high pressure units, there also comes the laborous tasks to search, cut, deburr, install, and bend high pressure lines. In some instances, I've seen it can take up to hours depending on the amount of lines used and the machine makeup.

I'd let to get some feedback on people who frequently use and install HPC lines. The purpose of this discussion is to evaluate if there is a real need to improve speed in HPC line installation by developing a new system that involves quick connect line links and nozzles. Would any of you see a market for such a product?
    Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Pete

I think the need for a modular system depends on the frequency of setups. At my last job we had more or less standard tooling locations so once I ran the high pressure lines they were good for a month or more depending on its location. That being said, it took a while to get them all bent/positioned/setup. I dont really know what you could do to speed up the installation. we used steel brake line so I'd have to cut it with a cutoff disc, chamfer the ends on a small belt sander, bend the lines, adjust, bend, adjust, more if necessary.

So I guess what Im saying is that since every installation is unique I dont know how you would speed up the piping process. A quick disconnect would speed things up a little. I like the idea of a nozzle that is easier to position or create different spray patterns. Products like this could appeal to shops that change tooling often. I like new things in general and would look at anything to improve our process. With that said, if its too expensive its harder to convince the manager that its worth it. I see more coolant through tools all the time and they seem to be making things easier.

So if your products would speed up install time and didnt cost too much I think you could find a market.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Thanks for the feedback MCImes. You make some great points. I am aware that the coolant thru tooling is becoming more popular, but it will not completley eliminate the need for HPC lines/nozzles since you still have to use them on live tooling, thread whirling, custom tools, etc.
    There are also many older swiss turret machines out there, like the Star SV20, where you see brake lines everywhere on the turret because the holders don't have port holes for HPC.
    But your exactly right, managment would need to see proven time studies on setup reduction in order for the new system to be a marketable product.

For what I have seen at exibitions there are a number of companies offering differant systems trying to solve the issues you have outlined.
    A lot of development has been in the Gang style area as this can address older machines and the current generation of machines very easy.
    As this has been address by replacing gang plattens using coolant fed tooling or tooling systems to allow coolant at the cutting edge for example the one proposed by Sanvick which includes a dead stop for the mouting of the tool in the same position every time and by using this stop for the mounting of HP coolant.
    As for Turrets this is lot more difficult and depending on the turret style and the room available it is difficult to mount rotory couplings to the turret but the new machines available with HP coolant mounted inside the turret it has made it a lot easier to use as for example the new turrets on the Star ST38 (plug and play concept) with the tooling that goes with the system.
    There are few tooling manufacturing companies out their that offer solutions as most are out of europe / one from taiwan / and I believe one from the US.
    It is just a matter of time for more to be developed in the future

Regards
    Dookie2022

That's a tough one cause most times the line's need to be bent just right for your application to keep the tool clean. With that said I have a permanently mounted high pressure block right on the main spindle of my Citizen L20 that never needs adjusting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by OMS2010 View Post
    There are also many older swiss turret machines out there, like the Star SV20, where you see brake lines everywhere on the turret because the holders don't have port holes for HPC.
    Just a thought

Why not just port the holders, and use flew lines with quick disconnects between the holders, and the rotary coupling...I've done it, it's pretty simple, well for static tooling anyway. It would atleast help the problem on that one machine.