584,800 active members*
4,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for long length reamer

I need a long length "O" reamer, something about 7" or 8" OAL. This is something that I am going to use a lot, so I would rather not try to silver solder an extension to it. Is there anyone who makes extra length reamers?

Look for aircraft length reams. If no luck, order a couple special made.

I did a search on google and the only reamers I can find are by Hannibal tool, but at $183 each I don't think that's going to happen.

Whats wrong with a silver soldered extension? If done right they work as good as an un-extended one, after all the cutting flutes are a silver soldered tip of HSS or carbide on a high carbon shank for any thing over ~1/4".

To do it right drill and ream a hole in the extension about 1/2" deep leaving about 1/3" per side in the wall thickness. Then drill a 1/32" hole through the wall at the bottom of the hole. This is to vent the steam from the flux. Then turn the shank of the reamer to the same length as the hole and a slight slip fit with the hole. The last part is important, a press fit won't allow for the silver solder and to loose will allow misalignment.

Coat both the hole and shank with silver solder paste flux (stay-silv or similar). The put them together and heat and apply solder at joint until it comes out the vent hole. Let air cool, don't dip in water. clean off excess flux and ream your holes.

Made many many extended drills and reamers this way over the years and never had a problem with even one of them being out of line or breaking at the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    I did a search on google and the only reamers I can find are by Hannibal tool, but at $183 each I don't think that's going to happen.
    Well, if you had said in advance that you wanted to be cheaper than $183 I could have given more specific advice.

I guess I'll give the silver solder a try, thanks for the help, but if anyone knows where to find an "O" please let me know.

Did you call ICS Cutting Tools ?

I called ICS today, really nice people and their prices are really fair. I ordered two reamers, 8" long, $45 each, shipped in about 7-10 days. I also ordered a few long length drill bits. Thanks for the help, Ron

$45 sounds much more reasonable.

Re: Looking for long length reamer

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    $45 sounds much more reasonable.
    Try Super Tool Inc. Lot's of drills & reamers. Gundrills too.