585,778 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OM spindle motor problem

This is on a Makino RMC 55 OM

Spindle motor was having trouble starting in a certain orientation. I marked the spindle with a pen so I could try starting it in various positions. I found the spot it wouldn't start up from. When it was trying to start I quickly spun the spindle by hand (that has worked in the past) and there was a loud pop in the cabinet. After rebooting several times everything seems like it is working except when I try to start the spindle it doesn't start. What it does is peg the load meter for a couple seconds and then something pops in the cabinet, and then nothing works until rebooting.
    There are no alarms on the screen but the readout on the spindle drive board displays 02 after pop. I tested the leads to the motor and windings are all ok. Any ideas?

Alm 02= "The speed deviates substantially from the speed command due to overload, for example, producing excessive speed error."
    If there is no overload, you might have a problem in the spindle motor. No overload means you can move the shaft of the motor by hand.
    Sometimes there si a problem with the spindle unit, like a bad transistor module. ( "loud pop in the cabinet")
    Regards
    Alex

Thanks Alex, Do you know if there is an electrical schematic I could find for the drive?
    ______
    Update a few minutes later. Found more alarm 02 info below. When they refer to "transistor module damaged" are they referring to a module that can be replaced on the board? Or do they mean replace the entire board?

Alarm 02 (AL-02) Excessive Speed Deviation
    Causes
    Overload, transistor module is damaged, loose connections, error with speed feedback signal, blown fuse.
    Remedy
    Replace parts, check connections, review cutting conditions.

If I mdi: s100 m3 and then by hand turn the spindle continually the best I can it won't pop out. The load meter even comes down while spinning by hand. A few seconds after I stop it pops and gives the 02 alarm on the drive board. (the pop is coming from the drive board) Therefore the sensor on the spindle is must be ok, and the problem must be something on the drive or I'm missing a fuse or breaker. I can measure 200 volts coming to the board but it isn't making out to the spindle.

yes it can be transistor module (under the drive board ) like 6DI75A-060 or blown fuse.

Thanks Nsdjole, Fanuc has been helping this morning and quoting parts. They are very helpful. I wonder if I'm finding all the fuses. I found two small 5V ones on the board pictured in the above post. Do you know where else should I be looking for fuses? Are there fuses under the drive board?

fanuc al-02 alarm

Steve, What was the final resolution to this? I have the same drive, and just had it repaired. Same problem (AL-02) is happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve427 View Post
    Thanks Nsdjole, Fanuc has been helping this morning and quoting parts. They are very helpful. I wonder if I'm finding all the fuses. I found
    two small 5V ones on the board pictured in the above post. Do you know where else should I be looking for fuses? Are there fuses under the drive board?

Claya, There is thread with the final results on page two:
    Quote Originally Posted by practical machinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/fanuc-om-spindle-motor-problem-no-torque-257677/
    Fanuc OM spindle motor problem (no torque)