585,956 active members*
4,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mach3 USB Pendant

I did a search I couldn't seem to come up with any info. Has anybody tried one of these yet?
    I'm sourcing all my parts for a G0704 build, bought Hoss' DVD, doing lots of research before I pull the trigger.

4 Axis Mach3 CNC USB Manual Remote Controller Handle for Mach3 Only CNC Pendant | eBay

I saw Hoss' video on the unit with the display, and it was pretty bad, wondering if this would be any better....

Thinking of doing a laptop with a external display hung off the machine, running the programs with the pendant.

Probably better with a MPG wheel?

Anybody try a the wireless pendant from XHC?

Wireless MPG Pendant Mach3 Handwheel for CNC Mac Mach 3 4 Axis Wholesale Price | eBay

CR

I've basically got this one (they're all the same crap) New Mach3 CNC Electronic Hand Wheel Only for MODSMACH3 Engraving Machine Pulser | eBay
    it was a bit of a pita to get set up but i got it working on two different systems that i swap it between , and it works quite well , i prefer the hand wheel control over button control so it fits with my desires .
    I'm usually pretty hard on stuff but I'm fairly gentle with it because it doesn't feel as though it could handle being dropped too many times , it's survived for probably a year now so it's not too wimpy .
    I've helped a number of guys who had troubles setting up mach to the settings that are in the instructions , every pc is different and it appears that a few settings have to be fudged with until it works .
    If you simply want instant plug and play with no farting around then I'd recommend avoiding any of the chinese hand controls at all cost , but if you've got some patience and don't mind trying some different number configs then I'll recommend the hand wheel

Otherwise
    if you like to play and destroy stuff , then you could easily break down a wireless keyboard and make your own control

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

this may help if you go the hand wheel route
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/screen...hese_mpgs.html
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Just after I posted I found that MPG pendant you have, looks sweet!!! It uses a serial and a USB port? Is it USB for power, and serial for comms?

Would you happen to have the docs on your MPG?
    CR

usb is for power and serial for com
    there's a pdf for the documentation in the link above .
    it's as i said before each pc seems to set up differently but its not rocket science , both my pc's are set up differently but it works well on each .
    there may have been some improvements since i bought mine but i highly doubt it

Thanks, I did download the PDF and read through it, looks pretty straight forward and what I'm looking to do. Are you using a USB/Serial adapter or straight into a serial port on the PC? I know with some apps, they don't like USB/Serial dongles. That would be a consideration for the PC platform I build. I was planning on building up an old Thinkpad I have, but it doesn't have a serial port...

CR

I have this one. Quite rugged, well built and can be dropped although too pretty to drop.
    Pendant
    It emulates keyboard and required no setup, but the delay makes X/Y/Z jogging awful. The delay is probably in the little USB adapter that comes with it.
    I just use for feed over-ride and the occasional coarse jogging.
    The delay with start/stop and pause is to be avoided and there is no ESTOP.
    You could program stop for ESC but the delay makes it a bummer, and sometimes ESC won't work as expected due to Mach3 internal design.
    A friend replaced this with a wireless pendant, and I was given this one.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Doesn't sound like you're too happy with that setup Neil?

I'd like to be able to do some manual milling without programming anything, I think with a MPG I can do that....

CR

A properly designed pendant will certainly do what you need, but unless the response time is as good as the normal keyboard, it will be awful.
    Keep asking. Someone out there is happy.
    I can mill straight line stuff with this. I just use it for roughing spoil boards in the vice, and never Z moves.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little more money for one of the VistaCNC pendants. They're very well made, reasonably priced, and work beautifully. You really want one with an MPG if you plan to really use it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    Are you using a USB/Serial adapter or straight into a serial port on the PC? I know with some apps, they don't like USB/Serial dongles.

CR
    straight into the serial port on my towers

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Do yourself a favor and spend a little more money for one of the VistaCNC pendants. They're very well made, reasonably priced, and work beautifully. You really want one with an MPG if you plan to really use it.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray, yes i did look at those and the M1 they list at $99 really isn't a bad price. Do you have any experience with these pendants? I'm wondering if the USB gives any latency like the most of the Chinese ones?

Like I said before, I'm in the research mode, I really appreciate the feedback..

Dertsap, I think with the issues you've describe with that pendant, a dedicated serial port would be the only way to go. What's the latency like with that one?

CR

What's the latency like with that one?

CR
    I don't know ,
    it's got an ever so slight delay but nothing that I'm concerned about , i just use it for edge finding and tool qualifying , I'm sure if i did some tweaking then i can get rid of any delay .
    I've made pendants with quality encoders and had roughly the same result . I may find it a bit annoying if this was the case on the real cnc's that i use in my day job , but for toys at home the pendant beats the L out of jogging on the keyboard

Ray, yes i did look at those and the M1 they list at $99 really isn't a bad price. Do you have any experience with these pendants? I'm wondering if the USB gives any latency like the most of the Chinese ones?

Like I said before, I'm in the research mode, I really appreciate the feedback..

Dertsap, I think with the issues you've describe with that pendant, a dedicated serial port would be the only way to go. What's the latency like with that one?

CR
    I've had two different VistaCNC pendants. Both worked fine, right out of the box, with no perceptible lag. The Chinese ones just seem to be poorly done. There is no reason for slow response if done properly. I did my own drivers for the first Vista pendant I bought, and I could run it over the PP, a port on the SmoothStepper, and even over ModBus, all with identical performance.

You'll also get excellent support from Lee at Vista - he even gave me all the information I needed to write my own custom firmware for my pendant. Good luck getting any support at all on the Chinese ones.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    The Chinese ones just seem to be poorly done. . Good luck getting any support at all on the Chinese ones.

L.
    agreed 100% on both points . these sellers have zero clue of what they are selling . It's the same with any chinese product on the market , which is why I pointed out that they need some patience to get working , and that they aren't very rugged . The imach does look a lot more solid and would probably be a better choice . Mine works fine enough for what I need it for , but theres certainly better quality and supported gear out there

I bought one of the Russion pendants in April 2012 and have been very happy with it. Built like a cold war era tank: ShuttleRU_STM32

Ultra programmable and a nice user interface with a large screen with multiple displays that you access by sliding your finger across the screen. It is built very well, I don't notice any sort of lag. It is a bit pricey compared to others but this is a quality unit. It is a 1 man company and they even publish the hard design and I see he now offers a kit.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    I bought one of the Russion pendants in April 2012 and have been very happy with it. Built like a cold war era tank: ShuttleRU_STM32

Ultra programmable and a nice user interface with a large screen with multiple displays that you access by sliding your finger across the screen. It is built very well, I don't notice any sort of lag. It is a bit pricey compared to others but this is a quality unit. It is a 1 man company and they even publish the hard design and I see he now offers a kit.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael,

While I'm glad you're happy with this pendant, I can't help but give my advice on not to purchase from this guy as I tried buying the 1st version from him and had issues and ended up sending it back and losing money in the process (for the shipping). The pendant lagged and the item was damaged when shipped as he packed it with no packing material at all.

He's a bit shady on the pricing as well (doesn't show a price as of yet?) as a few people had emailed me about the price I paid, and it the pricing was varying all over the place between the price he gave me and the prices he was giving them.

Again, I just thought I should chime in with my experience,
    Dave
    Dave->..

Sounds like Russian brides? Looks like a quality piece, but i would be leery of support, especially over the years....

I really appreciate the feedback...

CR

Does it play loud music in real-time? Ugghh.! Just put me off for life. What attitude! That's dumb as doggy doo.

My experience (except for unpublished pricing) was the opposite. Of course this is his 3rd version of the pendant and I am sure he's learned a thing or 2 about business and shipping. He even followed up with me to make sure I received it and was happy. It's good that he refunded you but of course shipping is expensive 2 ways and that is a sunk cost for buyer and seller unfortunately.

I was well aware that he was a 1 man shop and future support might be non-existent. However, I look at these devices having a useful life of maybe 4-5 years and I was interested in the overall functionality. I'd rather spend my money with an entrepreneurial business man in Russia than a mega-stateowned-company in China. But there are other alternatives now that look interesting.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Page 1 of 2 12