585,956 active members*
4,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Signal Tower with G540

Signal Tower with G540

I have Taig mill with a G540. I recently aquired a 12v Patlite (LE-W) with red and green LED lights. Since my controller box will be in a shelf under my mill, I will not be able to see the power/ fault lights. I'm thinking of integrating this into my controller as an external solution. Just not sure what the best way would be. From what I've learned so far in my research, the G540 schematic indicates that the voltage being fed to the power/fault LEDs is 12v. I measured with a meter and got 11.59v which should be fine. The one thing I'm still not sure of, is how to go about connecting the tower. The Patlite has 3 wires (red,green, black).

Would simply soldering connections to the legs of the g540's LEDs be enough? The LEDs already have the necessary resistors. The main concern is to make sure that the red and green light will trigger correctly between power and fault. The other question: is there a recommended way to wire it through the breakout terminals or is there a compatible breakout board I could add to the system?

Why not use the two integrated relays in the G540?

Or are they being used already?

Timothy
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25

Yeah, both are already in use. I was looking into Peter Homann's ModIO to control it using an example he wrote. It's for a 3 color signal tower and it's using Mach 3 brains control to signal stop, run, and hold functions. I may end up going that route, but I was hoping to tie the signal tower to the fault and power indicators on the G540.

I used the two relays on the G540 to operate a set of DPDT relays which I then wired into two more and a C22 board from CNC4PC for a emergency lockout.
    My alert lights are then operated from this relay bank.
    I have four lights indicating machine standby, spindle on, alarm and coolant on.

Timothy

Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25