585,949 active members*
4,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Internal threading tool suggestions

Internal threading tool suggestions

I need an indexable 60 degree internal threading tool with up to 1/2" shank. I would like the maximum depth to be at least 1/2". Any suggestions? These things are expensive! Can I use my boring bar? I guess I could grind my own but I would rather be consistent and the turn at the end is ugly.

Kdoney,

I bought a HSS internal threading tool from Grizzly. It is 3/8"x 5/16" x 3 1/8" #H5692 $12.95 (pg 558) and for the price comes with an internal boring tool as well.

Grizzly also sells a carbide internal threading tool holder G7033 for $15.25 (pg 556). It wouldn't work for me because it was designed for larger diameter internal threads than I was doing.

I have a Grizzly 9x20 as well.

Good luck,
    Alan

I ground one out of a tool blank, you just have to round the whole tool blank as deep as it needs to go plus a little, then grind your 60 degree cutter into it and make sure its right on the money perpindicular.

You need to be close, but not rocket science close. The ones posted by acondit(not indexable ones) should work great.

Jon

Smile

Thanks all for the help. The indexable one was too large for me too. Of course Jon, I knew you would grind your own :-). The ground ones were just right.

I think I saw one from circle tools that had threading and grooving inserts for one style of their boring bars, still expensive but would perform double or triple duty, unfortuantely circls's inserts are not as interchangable with other mfg's,

good luck

This may be a bit pricey, but it is indexable tooling and goes reasonably small.

Tiger

I work with a sherline and have also been looking for a good internal threading tool as grinding one from 1/4 HSS was not giving me something rigid enough for courser (16TPI and up) threads. I like the idea of an indexable tool because sometimes it's not the easiest to grind an accurate angle on these types of cutters and because the insert holder is a lot more rigid than the 1/4 HSS i was using. I came across this, which appears to be a really good price and goes down to 3/8 shank holder / just under 0.5" hole. Perhaps this would be useful to you? I just ordred one so we'll see how it works!

shars.com - Internal Threading Toolholder 38quot Shank for 14quot Insert

He wanted it 6 years ago....

I just purchased one from Shars. its made to fit in a 3/8" boring bar holder and has index able insert, and was around $37 ... look them up.

You can take a small 60 degree insert and braze it to a piece of square stock.

I've done it.

Don