586,000 active members*
4,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Adding to tool crib from lib

Unhappy Adding to tool crib from lib

I must be doing something wrong but when I try to add a tool to my tool crib from the library it I select a #1 Center drill and pick OK it loads a tool that I have to edit all the values. If I double click the #1center drill it loads the correct values but when I pick OK it does not load in my tool crib. What am I missing I am running V25.

Angry

Still cannot add tools from the tool lib to the tool Crib, am I the only one with this problem? How about it Bobcad, any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by bb218 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong but when I try to add a tool to my tool crib from the library it I select a #1 Center drill and pick OK it loads a tool that I have to edit all the values. If I double click the #1center drill it loads the correct values but when I pick OK it does not load in my tool crib. What am I missing I am running V25.
    I think you have the procedure a little off kilter, I`ll try and "walk" through selecting/setting a tool for the Tool Crib.

If you are setting up your Tool Crib at the beginning of your job then that is the correct way to do things.

The first 2 things to set in V25 when starting a new job are the Stock and the Tool Crib.

OK, so I assume you can get to the Tool Crib OK for starters.

Once there click on the Tool Category + sign and the list of available tool catergories will appear.

Click "Center Drill" and you should still show an empty crib, now click "Add From Tool Library" and a full list of Center Drills should appear, now carefully check the list to see if the Center Drill you want is listed, in other words there is one that matches the one in your hand that you will use in your machine, no point in selecting a tool you don`t have, if it isn`t there then you can either use the "Modify" function and change an existing tool to the size you have or use the "Add" function to create a new tool the size you have.
    Now, click on the tool you want so it highlights and click "OK", the tool will now be in your Tool Crib

That is all you need to do, "Double Clicking" on a tool in the Library will just bring up the parameters of the tool, here you can make any changes you like including a new "Tool Label" (Re-naming), adding a Tool Holder and naming that, also you can set up Feeds and Speeds for the tool here etc, etc, it is well worth doing all this here in my experience because it means that your feature will be automatically populated with all the Center Drill information when you do your Feature, less work to do there
    To get the tool back to the Crib from the Tool Parameters dialog you need to click OK which will take you back to the Library where you will need to click and highlight the tool and click OK again, the tool won`t go straight from the Tool Parameters dialog to the Tool Crib

For what it`s worth because I only ever use Metric tooling and BobCAD never supply any Metric Tool Libraries BOO HOO I always just delete all the tools from the exisitng Library and then input (Either from a previous saved Library) or spend a lot of time loading lots of tools and holders into the library, maybe it would help you a little if you were to delete all the originals and start from scratch like me, anyway, each to their own as they say, that`s how I do it all and it works for me, no doubt others will have different methods

One other point worth mentioning, if you have a job with a number of tools used that are tools you would use regularly then it is well worth saving that particular Tool Crib as it can be easily imported and maybe a tool or two added or removed

My 2 cents worth, hope it helps

Regards
    Rob

Thanks, I will give it a try. I was trying to enter tools after I had ran part of the job and not from the very beginning, although I would think I could add tools to the tool crib at any time.
    When I single click I get a generic tool, If if click on a finish endmill say tool 11 which should be a 3/16 finish mill when it goes into my tool lib it shows .5 diameter I have to edit the parameters to correct them, If I double click the size appears correct but it cannot get it to the tool crib. Same with what ever center drill I pick it single click is always .4375 diameter when I go back to the tool crib, double click shows the correct parameters but will not show up in the tool crib.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bb218 View Post
    Thanks, I will give it a try. I was trying to enter tools after I had ran part of the job and not from the very beginning, although I would think I could add tools to the tool crib at any time.
    When I single click I get a generic tool, If if click on a finish endmill say tool 11 which should be a 3/16 finish mill when it goes into my tool lib it shows .5 diameter I have to edit the parameters to correct them, If I double click the size appears correct but it cannot get it to the tool crib. Same with what ever center drill I pick it single click is always .4375 diameter when I go back to the tool crib, double click shows the correct parameters but will not show up in the tool crib.

Mike
    Mike

OK, I think that you are getting a bit confused by the way that BobCAD puts a "Default" tool in the tool dialog page when you work through a Feature without creating the tools for the Feature before hand in the Crib.

If you haven`t created the tool beforehand or not placed it in the Crib then BobCAD will create a tool to populate the tool dialog page as there has to be something there to start with, for End Mills it is usually a half inch tool 0.5", so that tool has now been created by BobCAD and yes when you open the Crib it will be there by default and you think you need to edit it but you should just ignore that tool and click "Add from Library" and then you can just pick a tool from your End Mill Rough/Finish Library and that will now populate the tool dialog page.

You have come across one of the issues with not setting your tools in the Tool Crib before you create ANY Features, to be honest I have asked several times in the past for the BobCAD Developement Team if they could possibly find a way to leave the tool dialog page unpopulated so these problems would be eliminated because then everyone would either have to do the Tool Crib properly at the start or just click the "Tool Crib" button on the tool dialog page and insert what tool they wanted via the tool crib and tool library

I have done a short Video of setting up a "Tool Crib" for you if you are still not 100% on how to do it, hope it helps you.

http://www.alroracing.com/movies/Tool%20Crib.wmv

When you download the video it should automatically launch you Windows Media Player, if you PC asks if it is OK to open with your Win Media Player just click yes, sorry there is no sound but I had some noise in the background so I turned the mic off

Regards
    Rob