585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Importing Autocad into BobCAD

Question Importing Autocad into BobCAD

I am a newbie and need help with the importing of Autocad into BobCAD, version 24 or 25. Whenever I import an AutoCAD drawing into BobCAD, it somehow inflates in dimensions. My drawing was 889 mm long and 609.6 mm wide (kitchen cabinet 34 -1/2 inch tall, metric). When I opened it in BobCAD, the new length was 22,580.5996 mm long. I have to scale my drawing by 0.03937007943 to have it back to its natural size. How can I correct this?
    How do you set the units in BobCAD? In AutoCAD you go to units and set them before your drawing.

Thank you for your help

Piertechpierre

Go to preferences-units and set to mm (part = current drawing...default = all new ones... If you use default, you must close the current doc and reopen a new one)

Then use "Merge" (import) to bring the drawing in.

Unhappy

Thank you BurrMan,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I did that originally, I check my preferences and units and all are set at mm (at least this is what is highlighted). I will try again. The same thing happens in Mach 3. The machine sends the gantry ay 3800 instead of 889. I check and the units are always inch by default. I change to mm and as soon as I load G-code it goes back to inches.

So much to learn........

Piertechpierre

Hi BurrMan,

I finally found out why I was having problems. I made a stupid rookie mistake in AutoCAD. My units were not metric, just decimals. You were right about units. When the drawing was imported, it reverted to the original drawing units. I asked AutoCAD to give me the measurements in both imperial and metric as secondary. That is when I found out my mistake. My 32mm space between holes was actually 32 ft. I redid the drawing, in metric, and now the problem is solved.
    I logged in more than 3,000 hours of Autocad, stopped for one year and made a rookie mistake!
    Thank you for the help
    Piertechpierre